Floor 8 Room 243 (Pt.3)

Aria's Pov

I open my eyes, confused of where I am. Then I remember. Ezra's car accident. We're in the hospital. The steady beep of the hospital machine monitoring his heart is still one of the only sounds I can hear. I lift my head up from Ezra's chest where I fell asleep. I look out the window. It's pitch black. How long have I slept for?

I turn to face Ezra, and when I do, I nearly jump out of my own skin. Ezra's eyes are open. He looks tired, but he still smiles at me.

"Y-you're awake?" I stutter. He nods, taking my hand in his own.

"So are you," He says "You've been sleeping for a while. I wanted to wake you, but you were so peaceful." I just stare at him, too happy to do anything else. Finally, I burst into tears. He's awake. He's awake and seems just like he was before. He doesn't have a brain hemorrhage.

"I'm...You're—" He cuts me off.

"Shhh." He says soothingly "We don't need to think about that anymore." I nod, leaning forward as he embraces me in a hug. I kiss him, and this time, he's awake to kiss me back. I can't help but smile. I bury my face into his chest, crying tears of happiness.

I dont know how long I lay there, my head on Ezra's chest. All I know is that I want to stay there forever.

Then, I hear something terrible. Something absolutely awful. Ezra gasping for air, as if he'd been holding his breath for a long time. His hands clutch his throat, and his eyes bulge.

"Ezra!" I yell "Ezra what's happening!?" I jump out of my chair and run into the hallway.

"We need a doctor!" I scream "Somebody help! I need a doctor!" But all I hear is my own voice echoing down the long hallways. My friends aren't here anymore, in fact, no one is in sight. I run to the next room and fling the door open, hoping there will be a doctor in there. But the room is empty. Not even a patient in the bed. I run out of the room and back into the hallway, looking left and right for someone, anyone. I run back into Ezra's room, not knowing how to help him. But when I get there, I'm stopped dead in my tracks. Ezra's heart monitor is no longer beeping. He lays limp on the bed. I scream and run over to him, stumbling onto my knees next to the bed. My face is buried into his chest, and my hands grip tightly onto the bedsheets.

"Ezra!" I cry "Ezra please!" I gasp for air, just so I can let out a pained scream. "Somebody help me! Please!" Through my teary eyes I look at Ezra's chest. It no longer rises and falls. Burying my face into his chest again I scream. I've never hurt so much before. He's not gone. He can't be gone. I'd give anything to hear the beeping of the heart monitor that tells me Ezra's heart is beating. But it's silent. The steady beep, beep, beep no longer fills the room. He's gone.

***

Beep, beep, beep.

That's the sound I awaken to.

Beep, beep, beep.

I hear it again. The sound of the heart monitor. The one monitoring Ezra's heartbeat.

My eyes pop open, and I look around me. The sun outside is about to set, meaning I've slept almost the entire day. I'm laying with my head on Ezra's chest in the hospital room. Ezra. I quickly sit up and look at him. His chest rises and falls, but he's still asleep. More importantly; he's still alive. I can't help but smile. It was just a nightmare, a horrible nightmare.

Dr. Ronald walks into the room, a clipboard in his hand.

"Ah, Aria." He says "You're awake." I brush my hair out of my face and nod. He sits down in the chair beside me, looking at Ezra.