She Can't Feel Beautiful

Aria's Pov

After getting back to my house twenty minutes ago, my friends and I decided to watch tv. I'm not really paying attention to the show that's on, but instead thinking about Hanna. It's been years that she's made herself throw up, at least to my knowledge. I don't know why she would've started again, but Emily's right, Hanna is sensitive when it comes to her physical appearance. I just hope she doesn't take this too far.

I need to find a way to ask her about it, but maybe when it's just me and her. I know she'll feel more comfortable opening up to just one person instead of three, even if we all are her best friends. I suddenly get an idea, one that I'm almost positive will work. After glancing at Spencer and Emily, I grab my phone off of the coffee table. I start typing a text message to Spencer, hoping that Hanna won't glance over and see it on her phone when I send it.

I wanna talk to Hanna about earlier. Can you and Emily go somewhere while I do? I just think she'll feel more comfortable talking to one person.

I hit send, then anxiously wait for Spencer's phone to go off. Almost immediately, her phone vibrates and makes a peppy sound. I watch her out of the corner of my eye as she reads the message, hoping this will work. My phone vibrates on my lap, and I quickly go and open the text.

Sure.

Thats all it says, but it's enough to let me know that this will work. I watch Spencer as she stands up and faces Emily, a calm look on her face.

"Hey Em, I think I left a bag in your car." She says "Can you come outside with me?"

"Uh yeah, sure." Emily replies, slowly. I watch them as they walk toward the front door, neither of them saying a word. I wait until the door clicks shut before I face Hanna. I open my mouth to say something, but Hanna beats me to it.

"I'm not that dumb," Hanna says "I know that you guys planned this so you could talk to me alone."

"Hanna I-"

"No Aria, I'm not done." She says "I don't know how you guys figured it out, but apparently I'm not very good at hiding things. I knew you would figure it out eventually, but not this soon. We must be really close." I don't know how to respond, but I do know that I have to say something.

"Hanna..." I trail off "We can tell when something's not right, we're your best friends. We've got you figured out by now."

She doesn't say anything, but instead stares down at her lap. Tears drip onto her legs, and she does nothing to wipe them away. I scoot closer to her and wrap my arms around her upper body, hoping to comfort her at least a little. She leans into me and sobs even more, her whole body shaking slightly. I don't know how long we sit like this, but it's long enough that Hanna nearly stops crying.

"I don't know why I started again," She admits in a raspy voice "But I don't think I'll be able to stop."

"Don't say that Hanna, of course you'll be able to!" I say encouragingly "And Spencer, Emily, and I will always be here for you."

"Thanks," She says quietly "But sometimes, it just feels like I have to shove that toothbrush down my throat in order to feel beautiful."

"Well I'm sorry, but you're wrong." I say "You're stunning, Hanna. And if anyone ever tells you otherwise, I'll personally punch them in the face." Despite how she's feeling, Hanna manages to crack a small smile.

"No matter how much I try to accept myself for who I am, I'm always going to hate my stupid fat thighs, or the rolls on my stomach when I sit down." Hanna says angrily.

"That's okay, Hanna." I tell her "No matter what anyone says, it's impossible not to judge yourself. It's just what humans do. I think that everyone's beautiful in their own way, and society needs to realize that. You're beautiful Hanna, and you need to realize it."