Death Has No Mercy

Five Hours Later
Ezra's Pov

We've been at the police station for nearly five hours now. Piper fell asleep in her carrier not too long ago, and Aria just fell asleep with her head on my shoulder. Tear stains are fresh on her cheeks, her eyes puffy and her face flushed. But what else is she supposed to do, how else is she supposed to feel? Her own mother was just murdered. And to top it off, adding to this situation that I didn't know could be any worse, one of her best friends is charged with the crime.

Emily is innocent, I know that for a fact. So does Hanna, Spencer, and even Aria. Not for a second did Aria believe the police's words about her best friend killing her mom, she knows it's a lie. It's absolutely absurd, to say the least. But it doesn't matter what we know, or according to the police, what we think we know. There's evidence that Emily Fields killed Ella Montgomery, so they have no reason to believe otherwise. No matter how many times we tell the police that Emily is innocent, that she was out of town the past couple of days, they won't take a word we say seriously. But why should they? The evidence, real or not, is there. And for them to trust the words of people who are friends with the accused would be completely stupid. For all they know, we're trying to help cover up her crime.

Hanna walks back over to the little cluster of benches we're in and sits down, a cup of coffee in her hands. She looks so tired, although still has that worried, almost helpless look in her eyes like everyone else.

"I'm gonna need like fifty of these if I wanna keep my eyes open." She says, taking a sip of her coffee and stretching her legs out.

"Tell me about it." I reply, gulping back the rest of my own.

"How do you think Spencer's doing in there?" She asks after a few seconds of silence. Right now, Spencer's in a room at the back being drilled with questions from the police. She's not the only one; I've already been, and so have Aria and Hanna. It's nothing too personal, they're pretty much just making sure our stories match about where we've all been the past couple of days. I'm guessing it's mandatory routine since we claim we've been with Emily the entire time.

"I don't know, but she's probably doing a whole lot better than we did." I chuckle, remembering how nervous I was even though I'm not guilty of anything "She's good at this type of stuff, I bet she's the one intimidating the police instead of the other way around."

"Yeah, I could see that." Hanna laughs. Before anyone got questioned, we all agreed to gloss over the truth about where we were, just in case. Of course we didn't change what really happened, we just said we all went out of town on a little road trip to get away for a day or two. Not for any particular reason, just for fun. We told them which city we went, the hotel we stayed at, and how long we were gone. The only thing we left out is the real reason. But it doesn't make a difference to them whether we left on our own accord or someone else's.

I hear the low click of a door opening, followed by Spencer rushing over to us. She looks shocked, nervous maybe.

"Guys, I just realized something." She says worriedly before anyone has the chance to say anything.

"What?" I ask, beginning to grow nervous. Spencer sits down next to Hanna, looking between me and her.

"W-well, I know why A made us leave Rosewood." She stutters "It was so he could kill Aria's mom and blame it on Emily and she would have no alibi."

"But she does have an alibi, she has us." I say firmly. Spencer just shakes her head.

"The police are suspicious that we helped her with the murder." She says "We don't count as alibi's for ourselves because we're all being questioned. The last time anyone saw Emily just happened to be the last time anyone saw the rest of us, and it doesn't help that we all arrived back in Rosewood at the same time. The police think she killed Ella, and they think we helped her."