Sister Knows Best

Aria's Pov

"I can't believe you Mike." Is the first thing I say to him after he's released from his holding cell. Standing in the dimly lit police station, Mike clasps his hands ashamedly in front of him. He has a bruise on his cheek and his bottom lip is split and swollen from the fight.

"Sorry." Is all he says.

"Sorry?" I question angrily "You sneak out, go to a bar with a fake ID, get into a fight, and all you have to say is sorry? Not to mention all the charges being pressed against you, which I'm not paying for by the way. I won't spend—"

"I never said you had to pay for it!" Mike interjects "Why should you? I'll pay, or dad will pay, but not you. You're my sister not my mom."

I just stare at him in disbelief "I just can't believe you did that. I mean you've done a lot of stupid things, so shouldn't you know that this wouldn't turn out well? Where'd you even get a fake ID?"

"You had one too!" He yells "So don't act like I'm the bad one."

"Yeah, but I didn't use it the same way you did!" I reply "I didn't get into fights in bars for no reason!"

"There was a reason Aria!" He says through gritted teeth "And I'll explain if you let me."

"No, I don't even wanna know." I scoff "Let's just go home. You can call Dad in the morning, I'm sure he's not going to be happy about this."

"The police already called him." Mike says "And he keeps trying to call me, but I just decline."

"Mike!" I gasp "He's your Dad, you can't do that."

"Yeah he's your Dad too, and when's the last time you two talked?" Mike questions.

"That's not at all the same." I say, trying not to raise my voice "I don't talk to him because he doesn't want to talk to me. At least Dad wants to talk to you Mike. So we're going to go home, and then you're going to call him right back."

"You're my sister not my Mom," He scoffs "You can't make me."

"You're staying at my house," I say angrily "And if you want to keep staying there instead of with Dad in Grand Rapids, you'll call him the second we get home." With a frustrated sigh, Mike turns around and walks out of the police station doors and toward the car. I follow, Ezra at my side carrying Piper's car seat. I can't believe what Mike did, I thought he was finished with his stupid recklessness. Why doesn't he realize that it never turns out well?

The drive home is complete silence, Ezra focused on the road, Mike staring out the window, and Piper fast asleep. I certainly don't want to make conversation, I know it wouldn't end nicely. By the time we arrive home, it's nearly 1am and I'm beginning to grow so tired that I contemplate just sleeping in the car to avoid the effort of getting out and walking all the way upstairs. But when Ezra comes around to my side and opens the door, I realize that I should probably get out. Mike stomps inside and sits down on the couch, staring at me coldly as I walk into the living room.

"What?" I ask irritably, annoyed how he won't stop looking at me.

"I don't want to call Dad." Mike says.

"Well that sucks." I snap "You should've thought about that before you snuck into a bar and got into a fight."

"Just stop it Aria!" He yells "I know I was wrong to do it, I don't need Dad telling me that too." I just roll my eyes and sit down on the opposite end of the couch, looking away from him. Ezra walks back downstairs from putting Piper back to bed, a baby monitor in his hand. Without saying anything, he walks into the kitchen, then comes back with an icepack. He hands it to Mike, who presses it to his face with a satisfied sigh. The blood coming from his split lip is dried, although the cut still looks painfully fresh. As Mike notices me watching him, he gives me quick glare.