Danger Zone

I'm a nervous wreck because I don't know what will happen once Jonas returns. The voices in my head are telling me to run but my heart is telling me to fight.

If I open myself up to him, it could be the perfect opportunity, the chance I need to build a great life. Then there's Jen who insists that I get laid!!

The kids are upstairs watching a movie, I've given them a full compliment of snacks ranging from Cheetos, pretzels and and popcorn. The compromise was 2 bottled waters and 1 juice each and they gladly agreed.

Dinner was uneventful as I whipped up some grilled chicken with baked potatoes and corn on the cob. I'd also taken the liberty to leave a plate for Jonas.

I was sipping my Pinot Grigio when the doorbell rang. I go to open the door but I'm confused as hell because there's noone there. Just as I'm about to head inside, I see an envelope on the porch.

Walking out, I stoop down to peer at it carefully. There's no marking on the envelope but a piece of paper is sticking out. Heading inside, I grab a pair of gloves then return to retrieve it.

My heart is hammering in my chest, my hands tremble slightly as I slide the paper out. I wish the earth could swallow me as I see a picture of the kids and I at the beach today!

On the back, there's a note scrawled in a lopsided way:

Who is more important, your kids or the man in your life?
Choose wisely.

I feel as if my throat is constricting slowly, my hands are now shaking like a leaf and my lips are quivering.

Rushing inside, I toss the photo unto the centre table and grab my phone to check the cameras around the house.

Pulling up the reel, I see a car pull up to the house before it drives off and returns a few minutes later. As I continue watching, a hooded man exits the car, runs to the house, drops the letter and leaves.

I'm unable to see his face because he has a black mask on with sunglasses too. However, I notice he has an arm tattoo and walks with a limp.

I plop back into the couch, trying to decide the way forward. Could it be that someone from my past has found me or is this linked to Jonas?

Deciding on the latter, I dial his number three times but it only goes to voice-mail. Paranoia begins to kick as I begin to question how the person found us, why we're being watched etc.

Moving to the secret room I installed in the stairs, I activate the motion sensors around the house. Whether I'm home or not, once there is any movement detected, an alert will be sent to my phone.

After we relocated, Anna and I established a security protocol. She even taught me self defense and how to use a gun which is safely tucked away in my safe upstairs.

Anna helped me to find myself again, and she drilled it into my head to never allow anyone to control my life again. Whoever this foe is, they will learn in due time that I'm not to be fucked with.

As I exit the room, headlights spray light through my curtains. Checking my phone, I realise its Jonas' truck and I relax instantly. Before he can knock, I open the door and drag him inside swiftly.

He almost trips and I chuckle lowly, while he mugs me. "What's this all about?" He asks, sounding rather perturbed.

Sighing, I walk back to the living room to grab the photo. "You wonna tell me what this is about?" I toss the photo to him, "Cuz I like my life how it is, PRIVATE."

His eyes widen when he sees the photo, then I hand him the note which worsens the situation.

"Fuck! I'm gonna fix this okay." He says, running a hand over his face then to his neck. Jonas moves to sit in the living room and I follow behind him.

He rests his elbows on his knees and sighs loudly. "There was a break-in at the company today. George, my custodian was murdered."

I gasp, my hands cover my mouth while my heart hammers my chest. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry about that." I pat his shoulder, "Do the police have any leads?" I ask, eagerly waiting for some good news amidst all this drama.

Jonas leans back and begins to knead his forehead, "Nothing yet but they suspect Chengs and have been tracking the incidents at my work sites." He sounds defeated and I sympathize with him.

How do you get over losing a staff member who is possibly murdered because of rivalry?

Pursing my lips, I run my hand through my hair as a million thoughts form a tornado in my mind. "Listen, we don't know for sure what is happening but we need to be very careful."

Jonas eyes me but says nothing. Are you even listening to yourself right now? Trust my subconscious to slap me in the face without an ounce of care!

"I can't sit back and do nothing Latoya. Furthermore Jason is coming back tomorrow." He finally says.

Now I'm confused! Isn't he supposed to be handling the Chinese projects while Jonas stays here?

Jonas senses my confusion so he explains. "His second in command will handle things in China. If I'm being honest, I need him here."

Nodding, I rouse from the couch and move to the kitchen. "Are you hungry? We saved dinner for you."

Jonas eyes me for a few seconds then smiles. "Jah Jah, you're too good to me. I didn't get a chance to eat, I'm starving."

Placing the food in the microwave, I grab a glass and pour some Jamaican punch in it, made with carrots, irish moss, strong back mix, Dragon Stout and condensed milk.

My mom taught me as much as she could about our culture even though my father forbade it.

Once the food is heated, I place it unto the island with the drink. He starts eating, showers me with praises and claims I'm trying to tie him!

But him bright eeh!

After joking around a bit, I resume our previous conversation. "You realized the note referred to Aria as my kid right?"

Jonas pauses immediately, he looks at me wide-eyed. "How the fuck did I miss that? That means whoever is doing this doesn't know Aria's true identity!"

I nod in agreement but the elephant in the room remains, "How will we work this out now? Cuz you can't risk Aria's safety."

He zones out for a while before he finally responds. "I honestly don't know what's gonna happen yet. Immo wait til Jason gets here to figure this shit out."

We converse about random stuff for a while longer and end up finishing a whole bottle of wine together. Jonas even claimed I tricked him into a first date without asking.

That's when I realize that his easy going nature coupled with his wit and personality is reeling me in slowly but surely.

-----------