Crumble...

The agency agreed to us being private contractors so we basically finished the paperwork late lastnight.

We all went to Darla's Bistro to celebrate and got wasted, hence missing our flights this morning.
Orbyn is currently on the phone making alternate arrangements with the agency to fly us back home.

I'd already checked in with Latoya earlier this week and they were all doing fine, so now I need to reach Paul.

Ever since our engagement, he's been acting pretty closed off but I can't figure out why. The devil in me keeps saying there's a betrayal looming while the good that's left says don't believe it.

He hasn't given me a reason to question his loyalty or devotion to us but I'd hate it, if that were to happen.

Swiping my phone open, I dial his number but it goes unanswered. I try three more times but it's the same thing.

Dragging myself out of bed, I get dressed  quickly them grab my gun. Orbyn spots me and signals to me, asking me what's wrong.

I update him and he's taken aback by the Intel I share. He ends the call abruptly, gets dressed and follows me out to the vehicle.

We waste no time heading to the apartment building that we'd dropped him off when we got here.

Somehow, an eerie feeling lodges itself in the pit of my stomach, even as we arrive fifteen minutes  later.

Entering the elevator, Orbyn pulls me into him as three other persons enter , nodding politely at us.

He places his lips to my right ear, "From the look on your face, I know your expecting bad news." He sighs and I close my eyes, fighting the tears.  "Brace yourself babe."

I exhale a long shaky breath, then steel my resolve. Over the years I've learnt to separate my emotions regardless of any situation.

The ding of the elevator breaks our connection. We exit and head down the hallway to Apartment 26B. Orbyn and I plant ourselves on either side, guns cocked and ready to shoot.

He knocks a few times but there is no response. Pulling my hairpin from my bun, I stoop down picking the lock while Orbyn is on the lookout.

Within seconds, there's a click and I smile smugly at him. "Guess I haven't lost my touch huh."

He rolls his eyes, "Whatever, the record is still between us anyway."

Slowly opening the door, Orbyn and I enter the room and start doing a back to back sweep.

We cleared the living room, balcony and bedroom then move toward the bathroom, with its door slightly ajar.

Water is running inside but there's no sign of movement, causing us to exchange looks.

A million things rush through my mind as I slowly push the door open. The sight before me knocks the wind out of my sail!

Paul is partially naked on the floor unconscious with blood oozing a from a wound on the back of his head.

Rushing to him, I gently tap his face. "Paul! Paul! Can you hear me?" I shout, my voice trembling terribly.

Orbyn helps me to roll him fully onto his back while he dials a number. I assume it's 911 as I watch him check his pulse.

"It's very faint, he needs medical attention ASAP." 

Orbyn grabs a towel and places it to the bleeding wound while I continue tapping his face and calling to him.

Hope seemed to be dissipating by the second as I looked down upon his palid face and lightly tinted purple lips.

Glancing around, I look for any sign of foul play but there's nothing that seems amiss. His toothbrush is on the counter wet with a shaving cream and razor.