Changes

Today was simply grueling at the office with meetings and finalizing blueprints for several projects.

Jason and I drank so much coffee that when we left the office we were still feeling hyper. Martin is still underground, he's making his rounds before he decides to drive the final nail in Clyde's coffin.

The murder investigation is still ongoing  but the Police have agreed to release George's body once the autopsy is done. We're covering the expenses and have since established a trust fund for his family.

I popped in to check on the kids before heading home. They were excited and still bummed that Latoya isn't coming home as yet. With a promise of icecream, beach and a movie on the weekend, her absence was forgotten.

Luckily for us, Olivia cooked dinner today so I sat by the island as she plated our food to go.

"I think you're getting too comfortable playing house Jonas!" She smirks, placing both tupperwares before me.

I laugh loudly, averting my gaze immediately. "And why do you think so Liv?" I tease.

She slaps the back of my head and I grunt in pain, "Don't think I haven't seen the changes between both of you." She cocks her eyebrow, "Texting, flirting, kissing." I gasp in shock.

Olivia leans on the counter grinning, "I was young once Jonas. But I'm happy for both of you."

I pull her into a tight hug, grateful for the day she walked into my life. "Thanks Liv, it means so much to me!"

She rubs my back gently before pulling away. "She's good for you and Aria. You better not mess this up..." She flicks a finger on my forehead, "I need more grandbabies too."

Olivia giggles and walks away, leaving me with my mouth hanging open. The side door bursts open and Jason barges into the kitchen.

"Hey Liv, where my food at? I'm starving." He shouts, and begins to open the pots on the stove.

Liv re-enters the kitchen, a sullen look on her face. "Boy how many times have I told you not to touch my food!" She quips, slapping his arm.

Liv is old school savage, don't enter the kitchen while she's cooking, don't peak into her pots and definitely do not help yourself.

Jason groans and takes a seat sulking. "You never treat him like that!" He points at me, "Jonas is your favorite isn't he?"

Olivia simply slaps him on the back of his head before putting his plate down. "Say something one more time, and I'll knock yo ass out!" She says in a menacing tone.

Jason quickly mumbles an apology before diving in to his food. Before he could place the fork in his mouth, Olivia slaps him again!

He groans, "What did I do now?" I couldn't hold my laughter back anymore.

"You better say grace boy, or you gon lose some teeth." I warn. Jason's face blanches as he remembers Olivia's rule, Always say grace before you stuff your face.

He bows his head and says grace then mumbles  sorry to Olivia's retreating figure.

"Bro, I swear ol' school mothers are the worst yo!" Jason whines, eyeing the red handprint on his arm.

I smirk, "Nah, you only saying that cuz you got your ass whooped again!"

He flips me the bird and I laugh as I grab the food to head out.

"Yeah. Run on home to yo girl and leave a brotha hanging AGAIN." Jason whines, causing me to stop mid stride.

Facing him, I speak. "Aren't you supposed to be all up under Janice by now?" He scoffs in reply, rolling his eyes.

"She made plans with homeboy before and refused to cancel." He grunts in disapproval.

Shaking my head, I hiss my teeth. "Grow the fuck up Jason! You can't expect her to drop everything and everyone for you."  He opens his mouth to reply but I stop him.

"Isn't she coming back to your place afterwards anyway?" He nods yes, and continues eating.

"Then I suggest you go light some fucking candles, run her a nice bath and grab some massage oils on your way home." Jason states at me wide eyed.

He's never had to work hard to get a woman's attention, they just always fell into his lap or bed. His relationship with Janice is different, she's an independent woman with her own beliefs and doesn't give a fuck if he's loaded or not.

Jason has never been the romantic type, but Janice is a romantic at heart. How do I know this? She helped me with birthdays, surprises and anniversaries with Roxanna all the time.

And she even chastised Jason for his whoring ways, wooing women with money and expensive gifts.

"Jason, you need to get off your high horse and put that woman first!" He nods in agreement.

"I guess I'll need some wine, flowers and chocolates too right?" He asks nervously.

I chuckle at his discomfort, "That's a start, get to know her on an intimate level man."

He sighs, "You know I've never worked so hard with a woman before bro! That shit is haaaard!"

Looking at him in distress shifts something inside me, as I remember his troubled childhood.

His father was abusive and was only civil towards his mother when they needed to make a public appearance. He ingrained it into Jason that all women were gold diggers and should be treated as such.

It took years of counseling and therapy to break the glass ceiling. It didn't help either that the women he ended up with only wanted his money or were with him for his status.

"You better work hard if you don't want to lose her. She's good for you though." I smile.

Jason smiles appreciatively, "Thanks bro. Immo work my ass off and I promise you, immo wife her ass too!"

We fist bump and I head out, eager to reach home to see Latoya. I haven't forgotten the way she reacted while we were making out a while back, so I'm hoping to broach that topic today.

-------------