No Pain, No Gain

Anna's PoV

I knew keeping such a huge secret from Latoya would backfire but I thought it was the right thing to do.

She's hurting now and most likely feels betrayed but I just hope she understands.

I was equally shocked when I found out too! My life has been a shitshow from the get go.

From finding out my adoptive parents died to locating my biological mother in Colombia. She gave me up to keep me safe because of a past incident.

Flashback

I went home for Thanksgiving after catching an overnight flight to Maryland. Mom picked me up from the airport and on our way home Adrian called.

"Anna, we've just gotten wind of Bradford. He's searching for Latoya again." He said, panicking.

I slapped the dashboard in frustration because we've been working so hard to protect them.

"Goddamn it! I wish Paul Bradford would just die for fucks sake!"

Mom swerved and slammed the car brakes on the highway.

"Mom what the hell! Are you okay?" I ask while blindly searching for my phone which fell from my grasp.

She started to dry heave so I flicked the hazard on and quickly searched for her inhaler. Two pumps later, we sat there in silence as her tears flowed non stop.

Without a single word, she resumed driving until we got home. As soon as we stepped inside, she pointed to the sofa with a pained, yet nervous expression.

"Mom what's going on? Why are you acting like this?" I plea.

She retrieved her purse and from a small compartment she pried a photo out.

"Paul Bradford is a name I know all too well niña..." She pauses as my eyes widen in shock. "Given your line of work, I know it can't be a coincidence."

Mom hands me the photo and I gasp as I spot a younger version of her and Paul!

Not today Satan!

My subconscious screeches as a myriad of thoughts start running through my mind.

"Mom, how do you know him?" I ask calmly, praying internally that she will not admit to being an accomplice of his.

She sighs, taking a seat beside me. "In Colombia, I owned a bar that was frequented by alot of top players. One day he came in and we were instantly attracted to each other."

I watch as she starts twisting her hands as beads of sweat form across her forehead.

"It turns out he was searching for Luis Melhado, a local businessman but he trafficked children and women on the black market."

My heartbeat accelerates, trying not to guess the outcome. I grab her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze and urge her to continue.

"He executed the worthless scum and I never saw or heard from him again. It's like he vanished into thin air."

I clear my throat, "Is that the reason why you left Colombia Mama?"

She nods yes. "He'd introduced himself as Mario Tate but a few months after the incident some men came digging..."

Mom lifts her top to reveal a long scar down her side. "That's how I found out his true identity and when they realised I knew nothing, they left but not before trashing the bar."

My rage is boiling as I want to find the fuckers who hurt my mom. She's the only family I have and I will protect her with my life!

Sighing, I pull her into a hug then I release her and break my work code. "My current case is linked to him because I'm protecting his daughter and grandchild."

Her face pales visibly but she quickly rubs her hands against it. "Are you okay Mom?"

"Si. Si. Just be careful niña please! Danger seems to follow him everywhere." She pleads.

I smirk, "I can take care of myself Mama. You'd be surprised by some of the things I've done."

Her eyes widen but I quickly change the subject and we finished up dinner together.

End of Flashback

Even then, I didn't make the connection that he could've been my father. Neither did Mom take the opportunity to tell me.

Since finding her, everytime I asked about my father she told me she was drunk and he was gone the next morning.

It wasn't until Jeremy was being investigated that I found out. He'd just eluded a trap we set up in Harlem when my phone rang, displaying a blocked number.

"Hello?" I answer, hoping Latoya wasn't in trouble.

A chuckle sounded, "Miss. Rojas, I hope you put the same energy into finding your bastard father as you do for me."

I was dumbfounded as noone knew of that intricate detail. "Who the fuck is this?" I demand.

The person laughs once more, "Forgive my bad manners. This is Jeremy speaking dear."

My left hand grips my gun, ready to shoot anything or anyone that dare moves. "Ahh, you've eluded me once again but it's only a matter of time pendejo!"

Jeremy tsked and chuckled. "Your temper is as fiery as your father's. What can I say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

My temper flared, "You don't know jack shit about me so just quit the bullshit."

He guffawed and I could hear car horns blaring around him. "This case is like a History lesson amor. Imagine my surprise when the bastard child lands the case of the legitimate one?"

Jeremy chuckled as I stood there with my mouth gaping like a fish. "Oh no! Don't tell me Carmen didn't tell you about your beloved father."

At the mention of my mother's name, I'm brought back to reality.

"Go fuck yourself Jeremy! I promise you this, the day I find you I'm gonna put a bullet through your shitty mouth!"

With that I end the call and took the next flight out to Maryland. During the flight, several scenarios were running through my head.

I began replaying all our failed sting operations to catch Jeremy and that's how I realised that a mole was among us.

How else could he be so elusive and how could he have known I was working the Bradford/Holstein case?

I alerted Adrian and that's how we successfully moved Latoya and Kairo to Cape Coral without anyone else knowing.

Then we planted a bug in the system and wiped several files including theirs so it wouldn't seem suspicious.

Let's just say my trip home was, enlightening?

Mom admitted everything but explained she had no way to find him so he knows nothing of my existence.

When I returned to Florida, I discreetly acquired a sample of Latoya's hair to run a DNA test.

That's how I found my beloved sister.

--------------

Hey Loves,

Thanks for your continued support!!
Remember to vote, comment and spread the word among your friends!!

How was the reveal???

What are your thoughts re Anna and Latoya???

Xoxo
JDeCosta
💜