Damage

Orbyn is driving while I stare aimlessly outside the window. A million scenarios are running through my mind and he knows this!

"Anna, they're gonna be okay. We got this." He takes my right arm in his, giving it a gentle squeeze.

I glance at him fondly before smiling. "You always know what to say..." I pause. "But this time, I can't shake the feeling that something bad is about to happen."

He sighs and I know exactly why. The last time I got this same feeling, Adrian died.

Orbyn interlocks our fingers, "Nobody is dying tonight, atleast none of us will!"

He speaks with so much conviction and authority, my core clenches! A blush creeps up my face and I hold my head down so that my hair hides it.

Let's just say we both quench each other's thirst occasionally.

The tracking signal on the monitor blinks bright red, causing him to pull over . The two Jeeps behind us follow suit and we start searching the space.

There's a park overrun with shrubs surrounded by rusty, dilapidated fences. I look around the deserted street and I can't help the feeling of despair that overwhelms me.

"Anything? Anybody?" I ask, hoping for a positive outcome.

Ramoñ is first to speak, "I think I've got something Boss."

Everyone treks over to where he's pointing the flashlight. My breath hitches, there hangs Latoya's necklace on a branch.

Given its position, it was most likely tossed from a moving vehicle, which means they must've either turned here or gone left.

Orbyn stands beside me, "We need to split up cuz they could've gone either way at the T Junction."

He's right, I nod and signal everyone. "Alright listen up, Bravo you're with Ramoñ, Alpha you're with Orbyn and I."

They regroup accordingly, waiting for further instructions.

"Use Line 2 for all comms. Vernon will give us aerial support from hereon." As I conclude, they quickly head to their vehicles.

Orbyn and I watch as they drive off in opposite directions. He turns me to face him and in a nanosecond he fastens his lips to mine.

"Ride or Die." He whispers and pecks my face all over.

I hug him tightly, "Ride or Die. If anything happens to me..--"

Orbyn plants a finger on my lips, effectively silencing me. "Nothing is gonna happen to you, not if I can help it."

I smile, "Let's go bring my girls home." With that we head to the Jeep and turn left.

Five minutes in, Vernon chimes in. "Anna, I'm seeing alot of bodies in about 8 buildings on your side, and 4 on the other side."

He loads the data on our devices and I look at the areas keenly.

"There could be just drug deals happening this side but we're leaving no stone unturned."

Vernon chuckles, "Aye Aye Captain.", and signs off.

We pull up to the first building, don our night vision gear  as we spread out to assess the area. Turns out there were only homeless people living there, huddled together around a fire.

The next 6 checks were the same, either drug deals or just random people trying to keep a low profile.

Bravo team found nothing as well, so we were on the brink of losing hope.

Just then, Vernon chimes in, "Guns out guys. You're next stop is giving me alot of heat." There's a clicking sound and then the feed goes live on our screens.