Timeline

The last few days has been nothing short of amazing. I'm feeling much better and God knows I'm grateful for Jonas. He's been treating me like a Queen, from lavender baths to massages and don't even get me started on my meals.

I don't think I'm the only woman who appreciates a man who knows his way around the kitchen. Plus, it's the small things that count for me anyway.

Despite feeling better, he insists that I stay with him until I'm 100% better. Olivia is a God send too, she's been holding down the fort with the kids.

Jonas left about 20 minutes ago so I drag myself out of his very comfortable California King size bed to retrieve my burner phone.

It's been a few days since I last spoke to Jennifer so I decide to call her. Powering the phone on, my heart leaps when I see a bunch of messages and missed calls from her.

Fuck! Instantly guilt consumes me as I dial her number. She answers me immediately.

"Bitch where the fuck have you been?" She demands furiously.

"Jen, I'm sorry." I sigh as she hisses her teeth. "I'm still by Jonas so I haven't gotten the chance to call you." I try to reason.

She sighs, "You need to sit down for what I'm about to say."

I plop myself unto the bed, waiting eagerly. "What happened?" I ask worried.

The line is silent for a few seconds before she speaks. "Paul showed up here on Thursday..."

"What the fuck?" I yell, cutting her off. "Jen tell me you're fucking with me right now!" I shout as my heartbeat accelerates.

She breaks down instantly, "I wish I was babe. He was asking about you and Kairo."

At this point I'm numb as fuck! My mind is racing and my thoughts are incoherent. "Buu...bu...but how?" I stutter lowly.

Jen sniffles and I can just imagine how terrified she was coming face to face with the demon! " Apparently he cut a plea deal and gave up Winston and some others."

I try to massage my forehead as I feel a headache coming on. The asshole was supposed to spend life in prison, and why the hell didn't Anna tell me this?

"Jen I'm sorry you had to go through all that..." I purse my lips, trying to find the right words to say. "Did he say anything else?"

Jen chuckles which confuses me. "Girl the fucker is dying! Apparently he has lung cancer."

I yelp as relief courses through me. Ok Universe, you got this one right!

"GOOD! I hope he suffers right until his last breath!" I sneer.

Jennifer laughs out loud, "Girl!!!!! I had to bite my fucking tongue!" She snorts, "You should have seen the fucker's face too."

I could just imagine how manipulative he was trying to be. "Imagine that Jen! The great Paul Bradford, sick?"

She cackles loudly, "Girl there's more!" Now I'm simply intrigued by these developments.

"What else is there?" I demand impatiently.

Jen scoffs, "The asshole is now dating Monica Holstein of all persons." I gasp in disbelief. "Rumor has it they had an affair and she helped to sink Winston."

My mouth hangs open as my brain tries to process all this new Intel. "Tell me you're lying Jen!" I demand lowly. Jen simply sighs in return.

"I wish I was boo, but you need to be very careful..." She pauses as her doorbell rings. "I don't trust that mofo, he's hellbent on finding you."

Sighing, I pinch the bridge of my nose. "I'm gonna reach out to Anna. I'll let you know what's happening."

Jen bids me goodbye moments later, and after taking a few calming breaths I call Anna.

Her phone goes straight to voice-mail twice before she returns my call. "Latoya, meet me at the docks in an hour." Before I can reply, the call ends abruptly.

Pulling myself together, I write Jonas a note about swinging by the school just incase I'm not back in time.

Donning sweats and a pullover, I head outside and before I get into my car I check the tyres. The mechanical report showed it wasn't a puncture I'd gotten that day, the tyre was stabbed.

My mind is racing with a million thoughts, I don't know what is happening but my guy is telling me to brace myself.

I arrive at The Ruins about 45 minutes later, it's a bit crowded as couples are taking romantic strolls and stay at home moms are gossiping.

Spotting an empty bench, I jog over to it and sit down, waiting for Anna to arrive. Before long, a hand grabs my shoulder startling me.

Anna! My mouth hangs open at her ghastly appearance beneath the hood and sunglasses covering her face.

"Anna! Oh my God what happened?" I whisper, trembling in fear not only for myself but for her as well.

She sits down, hanging her head low before she speaks. "I'm so sorry, I had to make sure I wasn't being followed anymore before getting to you."

My heartrate surges, "Wha....what do you mean?"

She takes my hand in hers, "Your father got Adrian killed. He's managed to bribe the new director but we deleted your file before they could access it."

My free hand covers my mouth as tears trickle down my face. "Nooooo, this can't be happening Anna! Adrian's dead?" I'm a blubbering mess at this point.

This motherfucker is hell bent on finding me, and he'll use any means necessary.

"You're safe though, before Adrian died we managed to lead them to an unmarked grave where we had stashed your tooth along with Kairo's."

A hefty sigh escapes me. "But why did he kill Adrian?" I ask, a bit confused by the entire situation.

"I'd been off the grid working a case, they got to him before I realized what was happening." Anna twists her shaking hands, "I killed them all Latoya. I couldn't let them hurt you or Kairo."

I pull her into a tight hug, grateful for the love and care she has bestowed upon us.

"I'll never be able to repay you Anna." I sniffle as I release her.

She smiles fondly at me, "I love you guys. You're like family, remember?"

Anna was left on the steps of an orphanage sometime after her parents died in an accident. Her alleged family spent every penny including her trust fund then discarded her thereafter.

She chuckles, "I see you finally got yourself a man!" I look away instantly as colour rushes up my cheek.

"Just how long have you been around you sneaky bitch?" She smirks.

"Long enough to know he's good for you. They're all good people."

It's reassuring to hear this coming from Anna as she trusts nobody!

"Will you be here for long?" I ask seriously.

She looks away, "I need to find Paul and end this shit once and for all..." Anna grasps my hand reassuringly, "And I want Director Vaughn's head for what he did to Adrian."

Tears spill unto my cheeks again, "Please be careful Anna." I plea.

She hugs me one last time before standing up, "Keep your phone close at all times. Remember the codes?"

I nod quickly, and Anna walks away. "Kiss my baby and tell him I love him."

With that she disappears into the crowd, and I head home.

----------