Morning Mischief

Author's Note: Someone commented on Trial of the Times once, wondering about the different ways which Obi-Wan had to wake up Anakin... and I decided to write this. Enjoy! :D

~ Amina Gila

Anakin isn't a morning person. Obi-Wan has to deal with it. Or, the five times that Obi-Wan had to wake up Anakin, and the one time Anakin woke up Obi-Wan.

It was obvious from the start that Anakin didn't like waking up early in the morning, but at first, Obi-Wan didn't think much of it. His new Padawan was always dressed on time and ready for his classes. In retrospect, Obi-Wan couldn't say how it changed, just that it had. Probably, it had been happening over a period of time as Anakin realized that he wouldn't be punished harshly for sleeping late.

No. No. Obi-Wan doesn't know how to deal with children, much less ones which aren't exactly listening to him. He was certainly not ready for a Padawan. Sighing, Obi-Wan runs a hand through his hair and crosses his arms as he stares at Anakin's sleeping form. The boy should have been ready by now; he's not. He's still sleeping. True, they did stay up a bit later than normal doing katas and meditation exercises, but nothing to warrant this.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan's voice is firm. He takes a step into the room. "Anakin, it's time to wake up." Six months. It's been six months since Anakin became his Padawan, but he's still not used to it. He probably never would have been.

In response, Anakin groans, pressing his face into the pillow and pulling the blanket closer. They don't have time for this. "Anakin," Obi-Wan tries again, exasperation rushing through him. "I'm not going to tell you again."

"It's too early," moans Anakin and pulls the blanket over his head, clearly intent on going back to sleep. Well, if talking won't work, maybe action will.

Obi-Wan shakes his head, marching over to the bed and yanking the blanket away. He knows that Anakin can't stand the cold, so he should be wide awake shortly. "It is unfortunate that you're tired," he begins, tone gentle, "But the time won't wait for us."

Anakin lets out a squawk of indignation and reaches out to snatch the blanket back. Obi-Wan keeps it out of his reach, watching with satisfaction as the boy finally sits up, giving him a grumpy glare. "Good morning to you too, Padawan," Obi-Wan quips, with a half-smile. "Now, I advise you get ready, because we still need to eat."

Mumbling something which definitely sounds like Huttese under his breath, Anakin climbs out of bed, still frowning. Mission accomplished. Maybe, just maybe, Obi-Wan can manage a Padawan after all. When Anakin's not being stubborn, dealing with him isn't hard.

***

Fifteen minutes. Anakin should have been ready fifteen minutes ago, but Obi-Wan had let him sleep a little longer, hoping that he'd be up on his own. Apparently not. Yelling at him from the kitchen hadn't helped either, so now, he has to go do it himself. It's become a ritual almost. If Anakin doesn't wake up, Obi-Wan goes to drag him out of bed by whatever means are necessary.

Over the past several weeks, waking Anakin in the morning slowly has become something of a challenge, especially if he's tired. The first few times weren't difficult, because Anakin does, occasionally, listen to him. Once they became more familiar with one another, the situation became exponentially worse, meaning Anakin is all too willing to sleep in, even when Obi-Wan explicitly told him not to. But on the positive side, that time has given Obi-Wan enough opportunities to get to know Anakin better, knowledge which he can use to his benefit.

He doesn't usually have to yank off Anakin's blankets anymore, because cooking his stubborn Padawan's favorite food in the morning has proven even more effective. One thing which Obi-Wan learned is that Anakin – like many others – dislikes eating his food after its cold. Except breakfast is on the table and the boy has yet to make an appearance. What could be holding him up this time? For that matter, is he even awake?