Smoke and Ash

Author's Note: I've been wanting to write this fic idea for a while, and this seemed like a really good opportunity to do so. Also, I feel like I should give a warning for Vader being fundamentally screwed up. Sidious really did a number on him. *cries* I hope y'all enjoy the father-son chaos! :D

Also, there's some brief flashback lines, some of which are from the Obi-Wan series. So, minor spoiler alert, I guess. :)

Also, this is a gift for Banach_Tarski on ao3, and this is for the Vader-Luke Gift Exchange hosted by LadyVader23.

~ Amina Gila

Abandoned by yet another master on the banks of a lava river on Mustafar, Darth Vader is determined to prove and redeem himself in his master's eyes. The sudden, unexpected arrival of his son, Luke, throws all of that into disarray. The Luke who arrived is not the same one Vader faced on Bespin. He seems... older, wiser, hardened, and he has secrets he refuses to share.

Darth Vader might only have one arm left, but it's enough. The strength of that single prosthetic when combined with raw determination and a burning, white-hot fury is enough for him to pull himself across the burned ground of Mustafar. His first objective is to find some sort of parts he can use to replace his limbs. It will only be temporary, of course, until he can find his way off Mustafar again, but they will have to be serviceable so he can move – and fight, for he has no doubt that this is only part of the challenge – reasonably well.

Not that he has any fear that he will die.

To the contrary –

No.

There is no time to entertain such thoughts, not when every fiber of his being is vibrating with the need to prove to his Master that he is capable. He is capable. He is strong. He is good enough to be a Sith. He is a Sith. He is Darth Vader. He has always been Darth Vader. There has never been anyone else. (Yes, there was.)

His single-minded focus on dragging his body across the ground is enough to keep his thoughts from wandering far, to keep himself from feeling. Mostly.

There's a tiny part of him which is seething and screaming with a mixture of anger and betrayal both that Sidious did to him what Obi-Wan did. His Master left him there, knowing exactly how much it would gut him to relive his worst nightmare all over again. True, Vader was unable to feel the flames a second time, but he could vividly imagine them. And he hates how his Master seemed to enjoy his pain as he left (abandoned) him there. He can't – he can't go through it again. He has to do better. He has to show his Master that he's capable, that he can be the Sith his Master wants from him.

But Luke. Luke

The respirator cycles, and Vader lets thoughts of his son fall from mind. He can't think of him, can't afford to think of him, because deep in his core, he's terrified that his Master has turned his sight onto Luke. And he can't – he can't

No. No. Not again. He can't lose someone else again. He can't lose the only family member he has left. Luke is his son. He's his son. He's his everything now, the only person who gives him a reason to keep on living. And Sidious wants him. Sidious wants Luke. Vader can't let him. He can't. He can't. He can't. He has to protect Luke. He has to keep him safe. It doesn't matter what he does. He can't – won't – let Luke fall victim to Sidious.

None of that matter now.

It doesn't. It can't. It's irrelevant.

If Vader doesn't prove himself to his Master, if he doesn't show his Master that he can learn, that he is a good Sith, then his Master will go after Luke to replace him. He – it – that can't happen. Luke is – Luke is too good, too pure. He's uncorrupted by the Emperor. He's not broken. And Vader can't let his Master try to break his son.