A Time To Mourn

Author's Note: I have no idea why I wrote this, but I have no excuse. :) Except that I was getting irritated about some things.

And also, I wanted to cover how Obi-Wan would react to finding out about Anakin and Padme, because most of the fics I've read... just don't really seem that realistic? I mean do you really think he would be joking about something like that??? With how much he seems to be determined to bully Anakin into a being a perfect Jedi. Yes he was already obviously very suspicious of it, but if the script of ROTS showed anything, he also was not happy about it.

Also, as a warning, some Anidala fans might not like this, but hey it's supposed to be trio-centric. =D

~ Tirana Sorki

PS. This is a gift for FarfetchedGrasshounds on ao3, and this is for the Disaster Trio May 4th Gift Exchange.

May the Fourth be with you all! :D

~ Amina Gila

Anakin has to make a choice, a life-altering choice, between saving Padme or saving Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. He can't save all of them. Not this time. In the aftermath, he struggles, trying to come to terms with his choice and what he lost. Just like when he lost his mother. And now, like then, he's not alone. His family will look after him, as they've always tried to do.

"Padme!" Anakin cries desperately, panic and denial slamming into him in that moment as he sees her on the ground, too close to the epicenter of the explosion which just shook the ground to have avoided it. There's already so much blood everywhere, and he knows in that moment, that – No.

He'd had a choice, in that moment, only a heartbeat before everything fell apart. The Separatists weren't supposed to ambush when Padme was in the middle of bringing in supplies for a relief mission, but they did, and... in that moment, Anakin had to choose between saving her or protecting Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. The two of them would never have been able to see it coming, They would never have been able to stop the explosion from hitting them, killing them.

And in that moment of desperation, he'd known that he could only protect one group of them. Padme, or Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. The choice, at least in the heat of the moment, hadn't even been entirely conscious. It was a blinding moment of desperation, not something he even had the time to think about.

Obi-Wan is his father, his master, the man who raised him...

And Ahsoka is the child he's raising as his own; she's like his daughter even if he's only supposed to see her as a padawan, a student.

Even if it had only been Obi-Wan or Ahsoka, not both, there in that moment, he knows he would have chosen the same thing.

Padme means everything to him; he loves her more than he could ever say, but she isn't a part of him the way they are. He never thought of such things until that one horrifying moment when he knew – again – that he wouldn't be able to save everyone.

Anakin sprints forwards, heart pounding wildly as he drops next to Padme's side. No, no, no – This can't be happening. It can't be what happened. She can't be about to –

But one look at her condition, the amount of blood already everywhere, and Anakin knows that it's too late. He knows, because he's seen it on so many of his men throughout the war, and he can't delude himself into believing otherwise, no matter how much he wants to.

"Ani..." Padme chokes out, opening her eyes, staring up at him. His Angel, his – No, no, no.

He reaches down, pulling her into his arms, uncaring for how everyone is going to see this. It doesn't matter, because Padme is dying, and this is all his fault. He was supposed to protect her. She was his responsibility to protect. He failed her, just like he failed his mother.