Battle of the Siths

Author's Note: When we watched this episode in the Clone Wars, we couldn't help but wonder: what if Anakin and Obi-Wan had reached the room where Dooku, Savage, and Ventress were fighting sooner? This fic is an answer to that question. I hope you all enjoy it! :D

~ Amina Gila

Anakin and Obi-Wan reach the room where Ventress, Savage, and Dooku are fighting, a few seconds sooner. Given the chance, Ventress is more than happy to accept help from a new ally to take revenge on her former master.

He senses Count Dooku here, Anakin Skywalker realizes as he sprints down the halls of the flagship. It is Dooku's flagship, so it's not surprising. After the death of the Sith's apprentice, Asajj Ventress, he'd gotten another. Anakin and his former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, were sent to track down the new apprentice after his killing of two Jedi, after which he'd gone to Toydaria. They nearly captured him there, but in the end, he escaped, and the chase only led them back up to the flagship.

The pair skid to a stop outside the door, just as a giant roar sounds inside. Anakin casts an uncertain look at his former master. "It sounds like an angry rancor on the loose," Obi-Wan quips as the doors slide open. They both go completely still as they take in the scene inside.

Savage Oppress – Dooku's new apprentice – throws his own master and Ventress – she's alive? – across the room into the wall with a scream of rage.

"What the..." Anakin trails off, staring. What in the name of the Force is happening in here?

With a snarl, Savage twirls his lightsaber as he charges at the two Sith who are slowly getting to their feet. Well one this is for certain. Anakin can definitely see why the Sith created the Rule of Two so long ago, and he has no idea why they decided to break it. How do they get anything done if they're so focused on trying to kill each other?

"Who do we go after?" Anakin asks in a low voice, holding his lightsaber ready in case one of the Sith attacks them first, "The Sith, the witch, or the uncaged rancor?"

Savage is practically blinding flailing his lightsaber in between the others. Dooku and Ventress both back away from him, dodging his blows. "Don't just stand there!" Ventress shouts, irritated, glaring at Anakin and Obi-Wan. In her slight moment of distraction, Savage throws her and Dooku back into the wall and again charges towards them. Dooku raises a hand, lightning leaping from his fingers and pouring into the Zabrak. He's sent flying across the room, landing on the floor a short distance away from the Jedi.

"Come on! What are we waiting for?" demands Anakin.

"We'll take him together," Obi-Wan asserts.

"I was just going to say that," he agrees.

They stalk towards Dooku side by side. The Count raises a hand, blasting lightning right at them. Anakin skids to a stop, positioning his lightsaber in front of him to block the assault. He'd been sure to learn the technique after the first time on Geonosis, though he can't suppress the stab of fear that shoots through him. They can't afford to fail this fight, and nor do they have a reason to. He has nothing to worry about.

Ventress jumps to her feet and charges at the Sith Lord. He's forced to let up his lightning attack as he whirls around, meeting her blow.

Dooku blocks Ventress' attack before spinning around and parring the strikes from Anakin and Obi-Wan. The Count moves practically in a blur as he blocks their assault, all three attacking him from different sides. At least they have him on the defensive, but he still seems to be holding his own, despite fighting three opponents at once. It's not going to be easy to defeat him, even now. There's a reason he was always considered an expert duelist, Anakin supposes.