Injuries Chosen

Author's Note: I'm terrible at writing whump, but hey, I tried. :) This weird... Anakin just being dark to cover his pain/depression and Obi-Wan being kinda depressed is weird for me to write, lol. It turned out to be a lot more chaotic relationship angst than I expected but... hopefully everyone likes it more than me, because I don't much like how it turned out except the end. I think Anakin stole the whole thing, but whatever. xD It's my first time writing post-Wrong-Jedi arc with Obi-Wan, though. :P

~ Rivana Rita

PS. This is a gift for LazarusII on ao3 for the Obi-Wan Gen Exchange. :)

~ Amina Gila

In the aftermath of Ahsoka leaving the Order, Obi-Wan and Anakin struggle to cope. It isn't easy for either of them. And when Obi-Wan is injured on a mission, Anakin has to help him. They only have each other now.

The air is thick with smoke, shots ringing out repeatedly. It's just the usual battle – they were chasing after Dooku, only to fall into what Obi-Wan highly suspects is some sort of trap. What else is new?

Obi-Wan casts a sideways look at Anakin again, as he presses forwards through the droids, itching to get moving. Obi-Wan feels an echo of what Anakin does – it's normal, too, only he's far more concerned with this going downhill than he is with them losing Dooku again. Obi-Wan loses sight of his former padawan again, only briefly, as he goes to cover for Cody and Rex.

It's the usual Separatist tactics, and they're being swamped by battle droids and destroyers – those are the most dangerous. The clones already dealt with the tanks. It's only a matter of destroying the rest before they're overwhelmed.

Obi-Wan sees the danger first – sees it through the trees of the darkening landscape. Anakin is about to be surrounded by destroyer droids, and for a fleeting moment, Obi-Wan thinks he'll see Ahsoka come in, jump down, lightsabers blazing, except she doesn't – and he has a split second to remember she's not with us anymore, before he takes off running. For a fleeting moment, he remembers the weight of Qui-Gon's and Satine's bodies in his arms and no. He is not doing that again. Losing Anakin would mean... losing everything. Because Anakin is everything to him; he has been since the moment Obi-Wan truly accepted his role as his master, all those years ago.

Anakin sees them, of course; he always does, somehow, but he moves a fraction of a second too slow, and a shot strikes his right arm. He steps back, hissing. Obi-Wan can hear it over the battle, he always can. His arm starts sparking, and it must've been damaged enough to malfunction because he drops his lightsaber. He's mid-pulling it back to his left hand with the Force when Obi-Wan arrives. The destroyer droids are already taking aim and Obi-Wan bodily shoves Anakin out of the way.

He should have thought about using his lightsaber, he realizes a millisecond too late, because they avoid most of the blaster shots, except one. It burns deeply across his left arm and side.

"You're an idiot," Anakin half-grunts, half-growls. "You don't use your body as a shield. I could have taken that."

"What manners you have," Obi-Wan grouses. He's thrown off-balance and Anakin moves in front of them, blocking blaster bolts with his still-ignited lightsaber, already in his left hand. Obi-Wan takes his own in his right hand, standing unsteadily. He can't afford to rest until the droids are down, even if the burning pain shooting through him makes it very difficult to focus on anything.

He misses Ahsoka. For however aggravating it was when she and Anakin constantly argued, constantly fought over who took down more droids, the silence and sheer deadness of it grates on him. It feels so lifeless now.