Ancestry of Nightmares

Author's Note: I've hardly seen anyone talk about how traumatizing Mortis must have been for everyone, especially since Ahsoka literally died there, and Anakin Fell, and there's no way either of those events didn't have a serious impact on everything that happened later. So, I decided to write an aftermath of that myself. :D 

~ Tirana Sorki

Also, this is a gift for ChiaretasWriting on ao3, and this is for the Disaster Trio May 4th Gift Exchange.

May the Fourth be with you all! :D

PS. This is one of four things I'm releasing in honor of May 4th. :)

~ Amina Gila

Mortis wasn't a pleasant experience for anyone, and it left scars on them all. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka struggle to deal with Ahsoka being possessed and dying, and Anakin Falling. And, of course, there's the whole thing about how what happened on Mortis will affect their galaxy as well. Or, Mortis aftermath which we never got to see.

"General Skywalker, come in!" Rex's voice breaks through the haze of Anakin's mind, and he blinks, slowly pushing himself up off the control panels. Because somehow, they just appeared back in the ship?! In literally the exact same positions they were in right before they blacked out and then woke up on Mortis?

"We read you, Rex," Anakin replies, reaching over to answer the call, "Can you hear me?"

"Yes sir, standing by," the captain confirms, "We were worried. You were off the scopes there for a moment."

Just a moment? Seriously? Apparently, things can still get stranger, not as if that's a surprise at this point. This whole thing screams of a million kinds of weird, and for a moment, Anakin can't help but wonder if he didn't imagine it all. "A moment?" he repeats, "We've been gone more than a moment, Rex."

He frowns. "Sir, I don't understand. You'll need to explain."

Anakin glances over his shoulder, sharing a look with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. The looks they both give him banish any momentary doubts in his mind that this might have only been a vision of some kind that he saw. Yes, they were definitely there too. Somehow. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you. We're coming in now."

He's just going to blame the Force, because this entire incident hardly even makes sense. And speaking of the Force, it feels so different now it's jarring. While he was on Mortis, he could feel it so strongly, more intensely that anything he realized he was capable of feeling. It was almost as though he'd disappear into the Force itself if he let his guard down for even a moment.

Now, everything is back to normal again, and the abrupt change is... jarring. He could practically feel everything back on Mortis, and now he can still feel a lot but it's very different. "This planet is the Force," Obi-Wan had said, and Anakin almost has to wonder if that's true more literally than he realized.

"Did that... really happen?" Ahsoka is the first to break the silence.

"I was about to ask the same question," Obi-Wan states dryly.

Anakin has to wonder, but... he can't deny that he did feel the Force that strongly, that he saw Ahsoka die in front of him and then he brought her back – although that part almost makes him wonder if it was a vision – and that the Son and Daughter died and what the Father had said about it. A chill runs through him again, as he remembers those words. "As the balance in this world crumbles, so shall war escalate in your galaxy. As my son has descended into the Dark Side, so have the Sith gained strength.'