Far Away From Home

Author's Note: This was a fic request by our youngest sister, Lassie (who goes by RexaTheCuteTiger here on Wattpad). Also the front cover art is a fanart picture which I found online. It fits and I adore it. We did not make it, just so we're all clear on that. xD

To her: I know it took us eons to write this, and I'm so sorry! I hope this nice one-shot makes up for the wait. Enjoy! :D

~ Amina Gila

"Even a million light years away, even years after they last saw one another, she can feel him." Ahsoka feels it when Anakin dies, and a part of her dies with him. She'll never be whole without her former master at her side. Missing scenes with Ahsoka from after ROTJ

Even a million light years away, even years after they last saw one another, she can feel him. Anakin Skywalker's presence was firmly burned into the back of her mind when she was fourteen years old, shortly after becoming his Padawan. It was something she'd so often clung to in hard times, during the Clone Wars. And later, during the Empire, it was something Ahsoka would always remember, for support. She knew he would give his everything to help her, even if so often, there was nothing she could do but look out into the stars or hold one of the few things she had left of him, and... remember.

It was like a chill at first, but worse than anything she'd ever felt from the Dark Side. Malachor was dark and depressing, the constant cold nagging at her. This is different. Then, the pain hits her, and Ahsoka gasps, legs buckling from under her, the pain searing through her mind from a bond she'd long thought so weak as to be practically non-existent. But she should have known. Anakin was always so strong with the Force. It would have translated to his bonds as well.

The pain fades, leaving a gaping emptiness inside of her, and with a start, Ahsoka realizes that she's crying. He's dead now. Whatever happened, whatever took him... he's gone. She sits there, trying to cope with the overwhelming pain twisting at her heart. It wasn't supposed to be like this. They – they were supposed to be happy.

On Malachor, she had seen what he was doing, and she can't help but wonder. Was this intentional, or was it a stupid mistake? Was he at peace? Was he alone?

She's pulled from her musings as she senses a faint presence. Anakin's presence. She looks up, startled, freezing when she sees him standing there, looking much like he did when she last saw him before going to Mandalore, a playful smirk on his face. "Miss me?" he teases lightly.

"Anakin," she breathes, stumbling shakily to her feet. "How...?"

"I'm lucky, I guess," he replies, a bit flippantly. "I'm apparently redeemed enough to have been allowed to preserve my consciousness in the Force after death. Obi-Wan is here too, by the way, and he wanted me to say hello for him."

Ahsoka honestly doesn't know how to feel. Obi-Wan is dead too? Are there any of her old friends who are still alive? (Is Rex?) And if Anakin can still communicate with Obi-Wan, does that mean that his consciousness is also preserved so she might be able to see him again, too? It's decidedly strange to see Anakin again like this, acting so... light. But it hurts too, because she'd hoped she could have been the one to help him find his way back.

"I'm glad," she manages to say. "I've missed you so much."

Anakin smiles slightly at her words, quickly becoming sober. "I... apologize about how we last met," he tells her quietly. "I was not in my right mind at the time, or I wouldn't have attempted to kill you."

Ahsoka nods, accepting his words. "I know," she whispers. The older brother and protective master she'd known would never have done something like that before he Fell. It hurts far more than she wants to accept that he tried to kill her. Part of her doesn't even know how she can forgive him, but at the same time... she wants to. She doesn't want to lose him.