Consumed

Author's Note: This was actually written based off a terrifying dream I had. I turned into Din. It was extremely unpleasant and terrifying, given the circumstances. But then, I figured that I might as well write a horror one-shot based off it. Lol. I actually wrote this a while ago, but anyways. :)

Enjoy this little, canon compliant story with Din and Grogu! :D

~ Amina Gila

A peaceful trip to an idyllic, remote town quickly turns into a nightmare for both Din Djarin and Grogu when a mysterious foe begins harassing the townspeople. Citizens start turning up dead, brutally murdered, and the town goes to Din for help. Unable to simply walk away, Din searches for the culprit while, unbeknownst to him, the danger to Grogu slowly multiplies.

Screams fill the air, flames crackling as the town burns. In the center of it all, a child sits, calmly watching the goings on with far too much detachment, eyes glowing yellow. Perhaps it is not simply the fire being reflected in those once-brown irises, because the flames flicker, fading for a millisecond, but the golden hue remains. Then, suddenly, a familiar figure steps up near the child, radiating malice and a sadistic glee at the chaos in the town. The child looks up, expression twisting with raw agony and hate, and –

Luke Skywalker jolts upright, heart pounding. He takes a moment to breath slowly, trying to calm himself. Something is wrong. Something is very, very wrong.

***

"Please," begs the innkeeper, wringing her hands. "Please, we need your help. Can you help us?" She sounds strained, tears glistening her eyes. "That – that monster took my husband a fortnight ago, and my only daughter last night, and it's not stopping."

Din Djarin clenches his jaw, looking down at Grogu uncertainly. He would like nothing more than to help these unfortunate townspeople, but he's afraid to stay any longer lest harm some to the kid. He only got him back from the Jetii a month ago, and they're trying to make up for lost time – even if that means Din doesn't go on as many jobs as he did before. Given the recent goings on here, he thinks he should leave and move on before it gets any worse.

At first, he hadn't realized that something was wrong here, or he might not have stayed more than one night. But the town is quiet and peaceful, and since they only have a modified N-1 starfighter, they need proper lodgings. Truth be told, the planet had reminded him a little of Sorgan, and he remembers how much Grogu loved it there. The kid liked it here too, so Din had decided to stay. Now, he's regretting that.

A month ago, a... madman had kidnapped and brutally murdered two citizens. They had thought it would be over, but it happened again. And again. There was no reason or pattern behind the attacks. Sometimes, the person – or people, the most taken at once have been three – is an elderly gentleman who always helped his neighbors or a struggling widow with five children or a schoolgirl who had stayed out too late. The youngest victim was a seventeen-year-old girl until last night. After last night, after seven individuals were taken and strung up in the town square, Din thinks it's time to leave.

This madman could come after him or Grogu next, and he'll never do anything to keep the kid safe. It's the first time that the perpetrator struck while he was in town, and though the community was grieving the nine deaths over the past month, they had thought it was over; it had been a week with no more murders. There investigators have found no evidence, nothing at all, from what Din has heard.

He doesn't want to stay. He wants to leave and never look back, but looking at this widow, who has just lost her entire family to this madman, he doesn't know if he can. What if that was Grogu? It wouldn't be, couldn't be, but he can't help but ask himself that anyways.