Eleven | Lilah

Gripping into the basketball I take my time getting to the classroom

Gripping into the basketball I take my time getting to the classroom. I don't want to make a scene nor do I want to lose my composure. That kind of privilege isn't something I have at this school. I need to keep myself together at all times unless I want to be talked about for the next week.

I'm not stupid. I know Colton is drifting away and I noticed last year when he started acting distant. He went from calling me every night to talk about his day to texting me 'nothing much' whenever I ask how it was.

I've tried talking to different guys and trying it out with them but they aren't the same as Colton. Even though he's losing his interest with me he's still all I have. He's fun. Being around him is such a mood boost but he's drifting away and it kills me.

The way he seemed so exited to talk to her irked me. I don't want to admit it to myself but the way he looked at her reminded me how how he'd look at me last year. I know it's a stretch but I couldn't help but feel my stomach churn. Who even is the girl. I know she's Damon's sister now that I've recognized her but does she even talk? I'm not an asshole, I pay attention to who's in my class so I can at least call them by the right name but I didn't even notice her.

Scanning the nearly empty classroom I finally pinpoint where she is. Sat at the very back she's leaned over her desk with her phone in hand. Taking my time to get to her I get a good look at her whilst I still can. She's wearing a worn out block striped sweater with versions shades of brown. It looks way to big on her so I assume it's her brothers? Better yet, a boyfriend of hers.

Tilting my head to see what pants she's wearing from under the desk, she matches the sweater with grey pants and black boots. Safe option. Shades go with almost everything. Though the way she styles it is definitely unique. Looking back to her eyes she's staring at me now so I throw a smile in her direction.

Sitting down in the empty seat next to her she looks up at me from her textbook. I've never spoken to her before but I've heard bits about her.

'Hey Katie.' I blink at her expressionless but she keeps her eyes on me before glancing around the room. Wondering if I forgot her name or mispronounced it, I could've been certain that's the name Colton said. 'It is Katie...right?'

'Are you being forced to talk to me or something?' She asks me dumbfounded.

'Colton asked me to give you this. It's Damon's apparently.' Ignoring her question I place the basketball in front of her.

Nodding she places it besides her things. 'Right of course...I'll give it to him, thank you.'

Staring at her sweater once again I can't help but cross my leg over the other. Her outfit is so low effort but she pulls it off like it's nothing. With a face like that, I doubt anything would look bad on her. Clearing my throat I touch my neck, skimming the pendant Colton had given me for my sixteenth birthday. What if he preferred girls who dressed down? Is that what he'd prefer?