Thirty-five | Colten

Leaning back into my chair when she slides into the room she's quick to drop herself into the chair besides me

Leaning back into my chair when she slides into the room she's quick to drop herself into the chair besides me. 'A little late,' I lower my voice so I'm sure only she'll here me. Sliding her stuff closer to me she leans down to the desk to make herself less visible but it doesn't do a lot.

'I misjudged how long it would take me to get to the class. I was-,' whispering so that she doesn't catch the teachers attention she's free to speak at a moderate level. The rest of the class is indulged in their own conversations with their assigned partner that I doubt anyone would hear her anyways.

'Katie Hart?' Feeling her jerk she turns her head up towards the teacher who's shifted her entire attention towards her. 'I hadn't marked you off. There was no response when I had called for you.' What shes saying is inherently friendly but reeks of so much condescension. She's never been the sweetest teacher.

'I'm an inherently silent person.' Quickly speaking before she can make her way to her laptop to double check, her response isn't exactly a lie. She's not much of a talker and she tends to keep to herself but I wouldn't describe her as shy. 'I should've mentioned that I was here a little louder when you asked,'

Accepting that response she cuts her journey to her laptop short by continuing with the work she has been previously doing after she directed us to continue on with our work. She promised to reintegrate herself afterwards to double check on all the students progress so we're all just trying to make sure our 'tutoring' stuck.

'Why are we merging our lessons again?' She looks back at me. Slowly turning my head down o her I flip open her workbook until I stop at where we left off. 'I went to my bio class just to be sent here.'

'She wanted to have a checkup so she's going around to each group to ask them questions. It's mainly to know if you guys are all caught up,' I mumble but she only expresses what seems to be concern. 'You okay?'

'Uh- yeah.' She taps her finger against the table. Reaching over to my pen shes rests her head against the desk so I can't exactly see her face or what she's doing. Wondering if she's worried I poke at her to figure out if she's okay. 'I'll be fine so don't worry. I've been pretty up to date with everything,'

Laughing under my breath I feel my smile fade when I feel someones eyes on me. Crossing my arms I lean my head to the side to see Lilah turn her body away but she's not quick enough. I noticed. Taking a deep breath I tilt my head to see that she seems pretty engaged with her partner. She'd been ignoring her in the past but she seems to be genuinely getting along as people. It's such a change for her.

Everything about her has been such a change. Denim shorts and a black hoodie, I wouldn't exactly bat an eye to see her wearing this but it's different this time. The hoodie isn't as fitted, it's larger on her body alongside black stockings that she decided to wear underneath the socks. Not an inch of skin is being revealed. Brown doc martens and two Dutch braids, it looks like I'm looking at an entirely new person.