Thirty | Katie

'Come over so we can talk in person,'

I've looked at the message more times than I can count on my fingers and I still haven't responded. It's funny how I spammed him for weeks and when he finally responds, I have nothing to say. A part of me wants to say this is stupid and cut him off but here I am standing at his front step at seven pm on a Sunday. I don't even have energy to be disappointed in myself for showing up since I'm lower than low right now.

Hesitating I reach my hand to finally knock on the door but it swings open before I can. Alarmed I pull my hand down quickly when I see Noah standing there with his phone in hand.

'I texted you an hour and a half ago and I got no response? I thought you weren't coming,' he frowns, 'but the front door sensors turned on like five minutes ago and you just stood there and didn't knock so I came down,'

'I was considering going home.' I respond truthfully since there's no reason to lie. That and I was worried anyone else but him would answer the door.

He seems to understand and doesn't say anything as a response. I mean who wouldn't consider leaving? If someone ghosts you then randomly tells you to come over 'to talk' who wouldn't be suspicious.

Letting me in I look around. I'm not sure if I should be surprised that's he's home alone right now. Holding my biceps I awkwardly follow behind him. I didn't plan past this point so I don't know what to do now. Was it always this uncomfortable being around him like this?

'What did you want to talk about?' I finally ask but he just gives me a funny look before pushing the door open.

'What do you mean what do I want to talk about?' He repeats my sentence as if it made zero sense whatsoever. 'You're the one who's been spamming me,'

'Maybe because you've been ghosting me?' I pull a face.

He randomly comes to a halt and I almost slam into his back. Turning around he's freakishly close to me. Taking a massive into the wall, I ignore how much thicker the tension got now that I placed an unnatural distance between us.

'You do realize we're not dating right?' He teases his eyebrows as if it was obvious. Well it was but we're definitely not nothing. Or maybe I have a fake version if events.

But I don't say that out loud. I dont say anything out loud because I can still feel my body healing itself from those words. They quite literally pierced right through my chest and I feel like an idiot. I probably look like one too with how silent I'm being. 'Did Damon tell you to leave me alone?' I don't want him to be an asshole. I've been telling myself that maybe there's a root but fuck. All my fucking life I've been set to the side, it would be nice to not be used for once.

'No.' He responds and I know he's not lying, or at least he isn't telling me the full truth. 'He doesnt know Katie. Be realistic, you saw us playing together and you saw us talking.'