Chapter 50: I'm cursed with a naive brother.

Lana Del Rey as Jessica

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't go to school anymore," Alex plopped down on my bed as he huffed in annoyance.

I momentarily looked up, my hands busy cleaning my gun, "What happened?"

"Dad happened."

I knew having dad as a janitor at Alex's school was a good idea. "What did he do?"

"He keeps embarrassing me in front of everyone! Saying things like," he stood up straight and lowered his tone to imitate dad, "'Hey son, who's this pretty girl you've got here?'" or " 'Wanna hear a knock knock joke?' And he only does this when I'm surrounded by people. It's bad enough having people... you know..., now they have an excuse to laugh at me."

"He does it 'cause he loves you," I replied sarcastically, but turned serious the next second, "Are kids still bullying you?" I inserted the magazine back into the butt of the gun, making a satisfying click.

"You're scary when you hold guns," was all he said.

"Where's John by the way?"

"I don't know. Probably talking to Jessica."

"I thought they were over?" I'm pretty sure they've been over.

"I thought so, too, but apparently she gave him a call a few hours ago and now she's coming over for dinner."

"Dinner?! Tonight?!" If what Tony told me is true, then that means Jessica is Victor's ex-fiance. The same Victor my parents killed...

"Um, yes? Why are you so surprised?"

"Just..." I had a million questions and thoughts running through my head. "Get John over here now." Let's straighten this thing out, once and for all.

"Yes, ma'am," he gave me one last look before exiting my room.

This has got to be revenge of some sort. I have a feeling they're up to something... Jessica and her father. It hasn't even been long since Victor and a bunch of their men were killed by my parents and I.

Gosh darnit! Why does John have to be so dumb?

"You called?"

Speaking of the devil...

"Yes. Sit," I pointed to the chair at the farthest corner of my room. It's interrogation (and confession) time. "So, Jessica?"

He smiled goofily, "Yeah. Crazy, huh?"

"Yes. Very." I mulled over what I was about to say. If I don't approach this topic stealthily, he's going to think I'm just overreacting... "Why?" I asked.

"Why not?" his smiled still stayed in place, but his eyes were starting to look confused.

He's not getting it. Either that or I'm bad at explaining. "John, you do realize that her family isn't a very nice family."

He sighed, "That's what you're worried about?" and added a laugh, "It's really no big deal. She explained to me the situation with her dad. He's just had some rough patches in the past, but he's trying to become a better man. She said he's retiring from all of his illegal works."

"So who gets all of the assets he's accumulated over the years? The illegal assets?" I asked. I knew how mafias worked. Once the main leader steps down, another takes his/her place.

"It's not like that. She said they're going to lay low for now, and let everything die down. After that she said they wish to live normal lives."

"What do you think?"