Chapter 39: Welp, there's that.

"Why don't they all have guns?" I whispered to my husband. It was strange to say the least. The leader and two other guys were the only ones brandishing weapons..

"I'm not sure, but," he speculated, "they probably didn't think this situation was going to go so far."

"Yeah, that must be it," It makes sense. Who would've thought that a girl and two boys would beat their paid assassin? Let alone have their parents show up. "Lets get this over with quickly. We need to get Annie out of here before she passes out."

Rick nodded and turned to the gang that were still staring at us with a fearful expression. Probably wondering why two middle aged persons were standing in front of them. "Now," he started, "I know what you're thinking," he lifted his hands, " 'Who are these crazy folks standing in front of us?' Well," he shrugged, "It's not a pretty answer for you." 

"Take one more step and I'll order my men to shoot," the leader, also known as Victor, threatened.

"I only see you and those two back there carrying guns. Tell you what: drop your guns and we'll fight this the old-fashioned way." Rick bargained. 

"Sounds fair enough," I approved.

"Are you two assassins, too?" Victor asked incredulously, "What is going on?!" he tore at his hair.

"Not anymore, but we still have some juice left over, right honey?" 

I rolled my shoulders and bent my neck on each side, "Yeah, I think so." I smiled in amusement.

"So how about it? Drop your weapons and we'll make sure not to kill anyone... just hurt them."

Victor laughed out loud, his voice betraying the nervousness he felt, "Show no mercy," Victor told his men before walking to the back.

If he thinks he's exempt from the fight...

"Yeah, go ahead and wait in the back. We'll leave you for last," Rick called out as Victor's henchmen started approaching in twos and threes.

In no time we were back to back, having synchronized with each other. Our movements followed a perfect flow and all too soon only three men were left standing. The rest were either wailing in pain on the ground or laying unconscious. 

Rick laughed as one of the henchmen aiming for his face missed and careened to the floor without any help.

Suddenly, a gun shot rang out and pain blossomed from my left side. I sharply breathed out at the surprise as I saw the foreboding red stain seeping through my shirt.

"Janet? Janet!" 

~

Annie's P.O.V

"Mom just got shot!" I heard Alex wail beside me. I lifted my head for the twentieth time- it's just so wrong seeing my parents fighting like that. With the faces of assassin.

Sure enough, a red stain was growing on my mom's left side. I have to get out there and help them! I tried standing up while clutching my right arm, but lost balance when John leaped over and held me down, "Are you crazy?! You're fuckin' bleeding! You can't go out there!"

"Bug off, John. You've been no help at all this whole time," I wrestled my arm away from him and stumbled to my feet, "Both of you stay here. Don't cause any more trouble than you've already done."

"No, wait! Annie, maybe John is right," Alex started. I turned to him questioningly and he nodded towards my parents.

More like two assassins. espite the wound on her side, my mother took down two men at a time. My dad was in the process of pulling out two guns from behind him.