Chapter 18: Weapons are the best accessories.

My mind was a jumbled mess by the time I was ready for dinner. Everyone is waiting for me in the living room, even the guests, but I can't get my feet to move. 

I'm a great secret keeper, but Alex's secret is not healthy and I don't think I could keep it in for long. He's gonna hate me for it, but at least he'll be alright in the long run. I hope.

I heard footsteps approaching my door and figured it was time to face the music- or in this case, the torture.

"Honey," my mother knocked and walked right in, "Get out there, now. The guests have been waiting long enough."

"Alright, I'll be right out."

"Don't make me come back to get you, missy," she put on her 'I mean it' face. She dashed out, leaving me back to my thoughts. 

After one last frustrated huff, I quickly made sure my weapons were well concealed under the summer-y dress I was forced into by my dear mother. I swear, my mom knows just what to say to get me to wear a dress. My hair was tied back to a bun, two white needle-sharp chopsticks holding it into place. 

Weapons are the best accessories.

I put on the dirty vans I had on earlier. The one thing I fought my mother for. I prefer to be comfortable in my own house.

A minute later I'm walking towards the kitchen where it looks like everyone migrated to. 

My life couldn't get any more difficult. Sarcasm.

As I entered the kitchen my eyes had landed on one person I thought I would never again see in my life. Like, ever.

Don Servino.

Sitting to the left of my father. My face fell and my heart went a thousand beats per second. 

WHAT THE HECK. Don Servino is Jessica's father?! It's a small world after all.

"There you are," my mother stood from her seat, which is strange in itself. She's never stood up from her seat when introducing someone. Maybe she's afraid of this guy. She walked towards me, grasping my hand in hers, and steered me towards the left side of the dining table where Don Servino and Jessica were sitting. Don Servino stood from his chair as my mother started the greetings, "This is  Steve Sabino, and his daughter Jessica." 

Mr. Sabino stuck his hand out at me and I took a look at his face before taking his hand. Surprisingly, his face held no recognition. Maybe this isn't Don Servino... Boy, this stress is really getting to me.

"A pleasure to meet you, young lady." he pleasantly said. My smile faltered as I heard his unmistakeable voice. This is definitely Don Servino. At that thought, his hand suddenly tighten briefly. A brief pain, but that was all I needed to know . He recognizes me.

"Yes, a pleasure," a sarcastic Jessica responded. She hadn't bothered to stand up and greet me. I looked at the back of her head and imagined putting a gun against her head.

"The pleasure is mine," sweet venom dripped from my mouth, directing it to both.  

I turned to look at my mother and hoped she could see me screaming in protest inside. By the looks of it, she caught on. Too bad she won't excuse me from the dinner table.

"Annie, you can sit next to Alex, in the middle," My mom pointed as she took her seat at the opposite side of the table from my dad. 

I made my way over, clearly avoiding looking at Alex. I made a mental note to thank my mom for sitting me in front of Jessica instead of Don Servino. Now that I think of it, shouldn't there be more people here. Surely, it's not just them two left in their family...