Chapter 23: It's you!

"Give me 50 more!" I yelled. Alex was huffing his way through the sit-ups. I was feeling really proud of him. So far he's gotten through the pull-ups and push-ups with no incident. Unless you count the unceasing whining coming from him. The dirt track was probably not comfortable anyway.

"I can't... do... anymore..." he's already tired and we haven't even scraped the surface of today's workout.

"Come on, Alex," Chase replied next to him. He didn't need to be asked to join, not that anyone was going to ask him to join. "It gets easier the longer you workout." Chase cleared the 200 mark on the sit-ups ages ago, now he was back to push-ups.

His body was glistening with sweat, but he didn't look fazed by the work out at all. On further observation, he's really got a great body- if I do say so myself. Great stamina too.

"Add 10 more for whining," For every whine I'll add more.

Alex stared at me with wide eyes, "Is this revenge... for all those years... I was mean? .. I'm a changed man!"

Chase scoffed, "Man?"

"Watch it, buddy," Alex stopped mid sit-up and narrowed his eyes at Chase.

"Did I say you could stop?!" I demanded.

"Why is he here?" he pointed his hand at Chase, eliciting a laugh from him.

I rolled my eyes as their bickering escalated.

At that moment, I caught movement at the corner of my eye. I slowly turned my head towards the corner of the bleachers where I'm positive I saw a shape.

I know there's no way we'd be surprised with an ambushed since we were literally in the middle of the high school stadium. Dirt and patches of grass surrounded us for yards, and the bleachers dotted the sides of the field.

"Excercising is a way of life. It's the most liberating feeling to be able to run everywhere and anywhere."

I turned just in time to see Chase's blissful look directed to the sky.

"Geez, Annie, where'd you get this guy?" Alex's incredulous look made me smile. These two are hilarious.

Suddenly, Chase stood up from his laying position and directed his eyes to the bleachers; the same bleachers I was staring at seconds ago. He must've heard the same thing I did: a resounding footstep on the bleachers.

"What's wrong?" Alex directed his gaze to the bleachers, where Chase and I were looking.

I started stalking over to the bleachers. Unexpectedly, I saw the same silhouette darting across the back of the bleachers. So I did the logical thing: I started running towards them.

Before I got anywhere close to the bleachers, though, I was forcefully held back by a strong hand on my arm. I swiveled around to see Chase looking down at me with a glare, "Are you crazy? Where do you think you're going?"

"Let go," I tugged my arm away from his grip and stared back to where I had last seen the unidentified person. "Damn it," Unfortuntely, the brief interruption helped whoever was behind the bleachers escape. I looked back at Chase, "Seriously, Chase? I almost had them."

"You're kidding, right?" he looked dubiously down at me.

"No, I'm not kidding, Chase. Someone was there, spying on us," I pointed, walking around the bleachers to check for any clues or traces of who and where they are. Chase followed close behind.

"So you feel your job is to find out who it was?" Chase laughed. Laugh all you want, buddy.

I ignored his jab and kept looking aorund, keeping my ears open. Luckily, Chase was treading softly on the concrete littered with dried leaves.