Chapter 12: Why would she do this to me.

I stared- shocked at the sight before me. I slowly lowered the gun to my side.

Chase, my Chase, did this! 

It wasn't the dead bodies littered everywhere that shocked me. It was the fact that Chase is a FREAKIN ASSASSIN! 

I clutched my chest as I realized what this meant: he knew... he was here to kill me! He knows I'm an assassin too! Boss was wrong... these assassins arrived way before their due date! 

"Annelise? Are you ok?"

I looked up sharply at Chase, surprise evident on my face. Am I okay? Of course I'm not! He's here to kill me! Why would I be okay?! I couldn't form the words, in fear of sparking a fight between us... a deadly fight between us. I didn't want this to happen. This night just turned into my worst nightmare.

I was almost wishing that I would've found Chase injured and still trying to fight those people. I would've came to the rescue, he would've thanked me and we would all live happily ever after!

But goddamnit, this isn't a fairy tale. I don't know how long I stood there. I don't know why I stayed standing at the same spot. I should be running away, as fast as I can. Run away from this guy that probably wants to kill me. I should've realized he was different by his accent. No, that's not really good evidence to go by. 

He's a pretty good assassin if I couldn't figure it out. 

My eyes flicked back up to see Chase approaching me slowly. He had his hands up, as if afraid i was going to run. 

"Stop! Don't move," I lifted the gun back up and pointed it straight to his chest. It pained me to do it, but I didn't want to die yet. I'm too young to die!

"Easy, Annelise," he stopped where he was, his hands still held in midair, "Just lower the gun. Everything's going to be alright."

I didn't appreciate the way he was talking to me... as if I was an unpredictable baby. What the hell.

"Alright? Are you kidding me right now?" I asked.

"Look, I know this may be shocking to you," he started. I scoffed, shocking didn't even begin to clear it, "But these guys had it coming to them. I've been observing them for awhile now and the stuff they've done deserves an even worse punishment." He rushed his words out, but I knew exactly what he was doing. He was trying to make me think about what he just said so I would be vulnerable for a second... enough time for him to disable me.

I was trained to do the same thing, bucko.

"You didn't have to kill them, though," I said. Truthfully, I could care less if he killed them or not. I was just trying to buy myself time as I inspected the alley discretely. I needed to find a way out, without causing too much commotion. I'm sure he's a skilled assassin, I just didn't know to what extent.

"I had no choice! They had your friend, Jenny, for godsakes!" his voice grew louder and his eyes grew wider. He must have  a temper like me. That's cute.

Oh my God, Jenny! I left her alone again! I had to get back. 

"Annelise, you have to promise to keep this a secret," he implored. What the hell is going on. Didn't he want to kill me? I looked him straight in the eyes to try and read his real intentions.

Oh man, he doesn't know I'm an assassin. And most likely, the assassin he's probably searching for.

"And if I don't?" I was only teasing now, I could never reveal his identity. He would kill me, no questions asked.