Chapter 32: I've never been more embarrassed in my life.

I've been grounded for sneaking out last night. Surprisingly, they didn't take my phone away. Instead I'm now on 'lockdown'.

"Annie!" I heard my mom call from behind my bedroom door, "It's time for school! Daddy's gonna drop you off." 

It literally can't get any worse. Knock on wood.

I trudged outside towards my dad's car, but was stopped before I could get a foot out of the door, "Remember, come right back home. No Jenny, no karate class. You're grounded until we say so." My mom said. 

"I know, you've said this already,"rolling my eyes I turned back to the car. I took a step forward but. again, was stopped by my mom's arms around me. My eyes widened as I felt my weapons press between us.

Shoot.

I scooted away from her hug as quickly as I could, but regretted it as soon as I spied her hurt face. Way to go, Annie. 

"Sorry, mom, I'm late... and stuff," I shuffled forward and quickly climbed in the car, leaving a crestfallen mom on the porch.

"Mornin' kiddo!"

What did my parents have to drink this morning? Doubleshot espresso? They're extra chipper this morning.

"Morning," grumbling, I put my seat belt on as my dad pulled out of the driveway.

I felt him sneaking glances at me. If he has something to say he should say it righ--

"So your mom tells me you're feeling better," he started. I don't know why she would think that. It's only been a day, and I haven't even talked to her.

"She does?" I asked.

"Yeah. Seeing as to how you went ice-skating last night, you must be feeling great."

Oh.

I feel a speech coming up.

"You know, there are things a teenager must and must not do," he said.

"I'm not a teenager."

"Exactly. We expect this sort of behavior from a teenager. Not from an adult," he emphasized 'adult'. 

I don't think I understand him, "But that's the point: I'm an adult. I have every right to make my own decisions."

"Not if you still live under your parent's roof."

Ouch.

"Are you trying to kick me out?" I asked. If this is the problem, then I'll gladly move out of the house. It might be better for all of us anyway.

"God no! That's not what I meant at all!" he quickly backtracked, "I'm not saying you should move out. What I'm trying to say is: Don't keep secrets hidden for too long, they might come back and bite you."

What in the heck. 

"That's not even close to what we're talking about," I said. Now I'm suspicious. What secret is he referring to? Me and Chase? Did Jenny spill the beans again?

Or did they find out about me..? Did Alex spill the beans?

"I think you know what I'm referring to," his stern voice cut through the air. 

"I don't."

"Annelise."

"Dad."

"There's no one around, just admit it. Your mother and I are worried," he changed his voice to a softer tone. 

But I still don't know what he's referring to.

"I don't even know what you want me to say," I began.