Chapter 40: Well, when you put it that way...

Chase's POV:

"...and even if you couldn't catch up to her, you should've been able to follow her GPS signal," I reiterated. Tony stood next to me as I reprimanded my two assassins. Chloe and her partner were supposed to keep an eye on Annelise, it was the only job I had left them with. 

And now Annelise is injured because of their carelessness.

"The signal disappeared right when she got on the freeway. It kept getting blocked by another signal. We couldn't figure it out," Chloe responded.

I rubbed my face in frustration. "Leave. I'll deal with both of you later."

They excused themselves and hurriedly left my apartment. I turned to Tony, who seemed to shrink with every second that passed.

"Why did you hide her file."

"I-I-uh... you see.. the thing is-"

"Tony."

"Yeah?"

"Why did you hide her file."

"So what happened was-"

"Tony-"

"Stop interrupting me and I'll tell you!" he finally yelled. He looked away and started pacing the room. He took a deep breath before saying, "It's not safe for her. You're not safe for her."

"What?" Safe?

"What I'm trying to say is-"

"Does this have to do with the missing information from her file?"

"Missing..information?" he gulped. He's a great lying around other people, just not with me.

"Yes, missing information. How can someone's life file end at the age of 16? The last documented information is of her receiving a check of $25 from her grandmother." I explained. It's obvious that he's trying to hide something from me. Something that involves Annelise.

"Look, Chase, this is basically theft. How can we steal someone's file and-"

"Theft? Tony. What's this really about!" He's pushing it. I'm losing my patience little by little.

"I'm not supposed to say anything. Frankly, I don't want to say anything. Can't you just go on living without knowing? Life would be better that way."

"Why are you speaking that way? You make it sound like something bad's gonna happen if I find out."

He stayed quiet, keeping his eyes locked on mine.

"So... something bad will happen if I find out?" I asked. What can be so bad?

"It's not my place to say. But I think you should ask her yourself."

"You've been watching too many Korean dramas."

"It's not even like that," solemnly, he plopped down on the couch, heaving a sigh. "Just go to her house and ask her. It's been three days, I'm sure she's awake now." 

"Alright, man," I finally conceded, "Take over, while I'm gone."

_____________________________________________

Annie's POV:

I stared angrily at the ceiling, trying to use telekinesis to turn off the stupid alarm clock. No such luck.

I reached over with my good arm and slammed the clock to the floor, shattering the glass cover. I stared at it in horror... I'm so gonna get it this time.

I heard the unmistakeable feet stomping their way through the hallway. Staring at the door, I waited silently for my mom to barge in like she's been doing every few hours.