Chapter 13: Ooh, how romantic.

Couldn't sleep the remainder of the night: I kept thinking about my precious phone. It was no use driving to the alley now, my parents were up and in the kitchen. 

Welp, we'll see what happens. 

I got out of bed and took the quickest shower possible. Hopefully Jenny is up by now; I don't want to leave her alone in the house without me... she might get into my room. 

As I was getting out of the bathroom, I immediately spot someone sitting on my bed.

John. Great. He's probably here to tell me off for staying out too late. 

"I see you've let yourself in... without permission again," I say as I head to the small vanity mirror at the other end of the room.

"I see your 'temporary' tattoo is still intact... and in perfect condition, I might add," he retaliates. 

Crap, Forgot to cover it again. "I told you it's one of those temporary tattoos that last a long time," I looked at him through the vanity mirror, giving him a 'duh' look.

"Oh yea, that's right," I detect a conspiratory tone to his voice. "So tell me again how you got it?" he tilts his head to the side as he surveys my reaction. 

He must know something. I don't know what or how, but this suspicion of his has to end. 

"John I do-"

"Honey! You're up!" Saved by my mom. God bless her beautiful soul. "I made pancakes and eggs for everybody!" She must've had her regular serving of coffee already.

"K, thanks mom," I smile sweetly at her. As she walks away I'm reminded of Jenny, probably still sleeping in the guest room, "Mom! Jenny is sleeping in the guest room!" I yell after her.

"Not anymore!" Jenny's muffled voice is heard through the wall, and I try to suppress a giggle. 

"Sorry!" I yell back. I felt like today was gonna be a good day. 

"Hey Annie?" I turn back around to face John. I grow wary as he takes his time continuing his words. It doesn't help that he's looking at me sheepishly, with a hand behind his neck.

"....yes?" I prompt.

"Um, so... what if I told you I got back with Jessica?" 

"I would kill you," not literally. This was beginning to look like a cycle.... a non-ending cycle. Jessica, John's ex, is nothing but a low life, good-for-nothing, heartbreaker. I've lost count on how many times her and John have broken up, then gotten back together in the span of 1 year. Apparently, they've known each other far longer than that.

I met her once-briefly- and that was enough to see how their relationship was one-sided.

"Oh come on Annie!" Such a whiny baby.

"Johnny, are you looking for my permission or my advice?"

"Neither... maybe," I roll my eyes at him. This is getting us nowhere. "I just want you to have my back when-"

"...our parents explode. I gotcha." Easy enough. I'll just stand behind him as my parents berate him on how easily he falls into Jessica's web.

"Really? You'll do it?" His eyes light up like a christmas tree and I couldn't help smiling back at him.

"On one condition," I say.

"Anything!"

"You stop mentioning my tattoo! Just pretend it doesn't even exist."

"So you're saying...it's real.." 

"Johnny! You gotta promise!" I implore.

"Ok ok!" he holds his hands up the same way Chase had his last night...or was it just this morning? I walk towards my door, eager now to get to the delicious pancakes waiting for me. "I've just been curious about it. I've seen it somewhere else, that's why."