Chapter 43: I'm unconvinced.

I'm going over Jenny's right now," I told my mom on the phone. I was already on my way to her house, and unfortunately I had Chase tagging along. 

His excuse: he was bored.

We trudged down the streets, unconsiously avoiding locking eyes with strangers. Instead, my hands were set to my sides, ready for any immediate action. I peeked to the side and saw Chase also holding his arms to the side. 

We look like two robots walking down the street.

"Tell me again why we're not using my car?"

"Your car is too flashy," I explained again, "her neighborhood is basically the guetto."

"Really? You'd think she was living in the suburbs by the way she dressed and acted."

"How do you know how a suburban kid is supposed to act like?

"I'm a suburban kid."

Well, there's something you learn each day. "Interesting."

"You know, my car wouldn't be vandalized while I'm around it."

I know, "How can you be so sure?"

"I just am," he smiled.

A few minutes later and we arrived in front of Jenny's house. 

It wouldn't be a bad looking house if they took care of it. It had potential to be a good looking two-story house. The faded red paint on the exterior were peeling back, revealing a gray underside. Almost all the windows in her house were either taped up or had at least one crack on them. The screen door swayed from it's hinges.

It really looks like a haunted house.

"This... is where she lives?" Chase asked. The way he said it made me believe he already knew where she lived.

I studied him for a second. Letting him inside Jenny's house- is this a good idea?

"Yup." I turned back to her house and walked forward, making sure to avoid the debris surrounding the front porch.

"This is so unsanitary," he complained.

"You can stay outside, then," I compromised. I'd rather not have him intrude on Jenny and I's conversation.

He grumbled unhappily but continued on.

I knocked the door twice. I waited patiently and finally heard soft steps approaching the door.

Jenny's mom stood in front of me, her frail figure bent from years of spouse abuse. I felt bad for her, but there was nothing I could do... except secretly send her money ever month. That's how they could even afford keeping this house.

"Annie! What brings you here?" she warmly enveloped me in her arms and I once agan felt her bones protruding out. Isn't the money I gave her enough to buy food too?

Several years ago, Jenny's mom was getting beat regularly by her then husband. It's a wonder she left him! The final straw was when he laid his fist on Jenny. I really admire this woman for sticking up for Jenny and herself, even though it did take her years to do so.

"I'm here to see Jenny. Is she in?"

"Yes, dear! Just go on up, I think she just got out of the shower," she said.

"Thanks, Ms. Alps."

"Oh- and who's this?" she asked, her eyes on Chase.

"This-this is my bo- my friend." I quickly ammended. I've realized we don't act like boyfriend and girlfriend...