Chapter 14: Nothing. I saw nothing.

Well, I was alone for the first few steps. But I started feeling a presence... eyes on me from behind. Discretely, I looked behind me, surveying everything I could before I turned forward again. I didn't see anything, but that didn't stop me from getting suspicious.

I had a feeling I knew who it was, too. It had to be Chase. He's the only other Assassin I know about, and I have good evidence to support my claim! Like how he knew I had work today and I needed my chicken costume-- oh wait, I told him about it in school. 

Or that one time he sneaked into my room! How did he know where I lived? Obviously the little creep has been spying on me. I wouldn't put it past him if it happened to be him that was spying on me now.

But why would he be spying on me in the first place? He must know something. I haven't given him any clues about my identity, but he seems to catch everything...

It still doesn't make sense, though. If he knows I'm the supposed assassin, wouldn't he have killed me by now? Boss said assassins were coming to this state to look for me and kill me. 

This was so frustrating.

One thing's for sure, I'm not heading to the busstop. I think I'll have to ditch my follower the old fashion way.

Running and hiding.

I was still in the neighborhood, an assortment of white, yellow and blue houses lined the sides. There was really no place to hide among these open houses. The bright colors would do nothing to help me camouflage. 

It's a good thing I still had an hour until I had to be at work. 

Heck, maybe I could ditch work and get to the alley from last night and get my phone before work started! If I was fast enough in ditching whoever is following I could make it at work on time.

Deciding on this course of action, I started jogging at a steady pace towards the busstop. I had no intention of taking the bus, but instead I was going to dart behind it where some bushes grew just on the right of the bus stop. There was plenty of hiding places behind the bushes and small trees. 

If I remember correctly- which I do- the alley way is just seven blocks from the bus stop. A few left turns and right turns, but I remember exactly where it was. 

About fifteen minutes later I found myself near the alley. I heard the faint footsteps, of whoever it was following, behind me. I was near the downtown area of the city and all the buildings in this side of town were old and worn or just plain dirty. Assassin's haven.

I skirted towards a metal fence on one side of the street and ducked quickly, but discreetly, through the small opening I noticed earlier. Luckily my oversized sweater didn't get caught on the metal poking out of its place.

I stood against the nearby wall, effectively shielding myself from onlookers. I listened closely for the faint footsteps to make an appearance again.

Yep there they were. Just above me, on the roof. Roofs must be Chase's thing. I stayed so still that you would think I was a statue.

After a while I heard the footsteps retreat farther away but, just to make sure, I stayed still a few moments longer: Rule #whatever of being an assassin!

Finally, I started stepping away from the wall, cautiously. Unfortunately I didn't get too far. Just around the corner from wher I was I heard a door swing open and closed.

"By the time we have this whole place cleaned up it will be just like new."

"This dump needs miracles. I won't have my wedding in a filthy parking lot. Show me something else." I heard a heavy brooklyn accent reply.