Chapter 7: Luck seemed to be taking a vacation.

I was in a daze as I arrived home, but I had enough sense to have changed back to my pajamas before sneaking into my room.

I lifted my window open and got inside my room... only to be surprised by someone sitting on my bed.

"John!" I was so glad I had changed back to my pj's," What are you doing in my room? You gave me a fright." I clutched my chest for effect. Truth be told, I knew someone was in my room the second I reached my window from the outside.

"Where have you been?" he asked, ignoring my question. He stood up from my bed and started towards me, "And tell me the truth, or so help me!"

"I just went out for a walk, I needed to clear my head," I lied smoothly.

I saw he wasn't buying it, so I spiced it up a bit, "I've been stressed out lately," Cue tears, "And John, I was almost assaulted today, I don't think I can take being interrogated anymore!" I burst into hysterics and his whole demeanor changed. At that moment, I was really proud of myself, I mean, half of my story was actually true! 

"You were assaulted? Where? When?" His eyes had widened as he rushed over to me and enveloped me in his arms. He tucked my head under his chin and swayed me back and forth, "I'm such a bad brother. Here I am ready to dish you out to my parents, and meanwhile you've been through so much!" He straightened me out and faced me, "Did he hurt you? I swear to God if he did-"

"No, he got away, someone else was there to stop him," that was also true, but it still left a bitter tone in my voice. I could have gotten my excercise from him if it wasn't for Chase intervening. I breathed out slowly to stop myself from losing my temper.

"Well, thank God for that!" He hugged me one last time before letting me go. "Are you ok, though?"

"Yea, I'll be fine, I just need to rest awhile," I motioned towards my bed and he got the hint.

John went out my door, but before closing he peeked through it again and said, "I'm signing you up for karate classes, no discussions allowed." and closed the door sharply leaving me staring at the door.

He did not just...

My life was already in turmoil and John is going to sign me up for karate classes?? This definitely didn't turn out as I thought it would. I rubbed my face with my hands before heading to the restroom to remove my assassin clothes under my pajamas. I really could never catch a break. This year is definitely not my year.

~~~~~~

The next morning I woke up and did my usual grooming routine. I wasn't in the mood to socialize with my family, so I dashed out of the house and walked towards the bus stop. I didn't get too far before I started hearing someone walking quickly towards me. I wouldn't have been this paranoid if it was yesterday, but finding out that assassins will be in this state looking for me soon can be a game changer!

I evened out my pace and prepared myself for anything, making a quick check towards my shoe for a reassurance from my knife. I had two knives on each leg strapped under my jeans, but easy enough to take out if I needed them. I also had two guns on each side of my back, strapped down in their holsters (covered under an oversized sweater). This was my regular set up so I knew exactly where to reach in an emergency. I've never needed them anyway, but you never know.

I listened intently to the footsteps that were approaching me from behind. They were very light and quick, so I first assumed it must be children running to school or something. I quelled that thought and immediately thought of assassins and how we're all trained to be discrete and quiet on any task. 

"Annelise!"

I knew that voice... I turned around to see Chase jogging towards me. I relaxed my tense shoulders and let out a relieved sigh. It was only Chase. Idiot Chase who took my game last night. With that thought I turned back around and walked faster towards the bus stop. I wasn't gonna listen to this guy, he made me look weak last night! In front of my assaulter! I could have definitely taken care of him. "Stupid Chase," I muttered to myself as I sat down on the bench.