Part 29: Glitter and LGBTQ+

Thanks for reading! Love you guys!

Luke's POV

I woke up the next morning and looked over at my aquarium. My seahorse, Billy, said "Good morning boss."

I waved and said, "Good morning."

It was nearing me and Silena's 10th birthday and I couldn't wait. We were going to have a party with all of the other 5th graders in our class. Well, almost. Only our friends, which was basically everyone in the class.

We had skipped a year in school, both me and Silena. Guess it must be the Athena Genes from mom.

Anyway, I should probably tell you about my sis. She is nice, and is a classic 5th grader, silly and cool at the same time, but I should tell you this. I hate being twins with her.

Don't get me wrong, she is so nice,but I always get compared to her, since I am the "lesser twin." But we are identical on the outside, not the inside.

We have the same tanned skin with green eyes and blonde hair, but hers is more curly, and mine is more straight. I'm also taller than her.

But the teachers always compare me, and she is always better. In likeability. I am smarter, but everyone likes her better.

At least we don't share a room.

I threw on some jeans and a white t-shirt, plus some black tennis shoes. I looked around my room.

I had a small bed in the corner with blue bedding and an aquarium on my wood desk. My walls were painted a blue-ish gray. The only thing I hated was my closet. I did not like my clothes at all.

Well, I had a reason. They were so drab. I wanted sparkles, maybe an open back, or frill laced jeans. Oooh, or pink sneakers. Yet, there was no room in my life for that.

I should tell you something else. I don't know why, but I feel like I can confide in my thoughts, at least. I am... transgender. But my parents don't know. I want to be a girl. I love the look, the confidence, all of it.

I don't know how my parents would take it. I have never heard them talking about LGBTQ+. I'm just worried. I haven't told anyone. Well, except my bestie.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs. My mom was there making blue eggs and blue waffles. Yum!

I wolfed down a plate in silence. It was the weekend so I asked my mom, "Can I go over to Jack's house?" Jack was my best friend from school, he was a demigod, but never knew either of his parents. Chiron raised him until he found a foster home.

I grabbed my bike and some sunscreen, quickly applying it.

After I finished, I rode down the street. I parked by Jack's house and rang the doorbell. He answered a minute later.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey." I said. "Can you hang?"

He nodded.

I came in and we went upstairs to his room. Now, here's another thing. He is transgender to. That's how we became best friends.

We have been working on some new clothes for us up in his room. We take some old t-shirts and sew brightly colored strips of fabric to them. We have this awesome striped one. We also had glitter and used fabric paint. He also has an old pair of white sneakers and jeans we have been working on. Today we were glittering.

I spent a few hours there glittering and doing each other's makeup. I had "borrowed" some from Zoe.

After that, I used a makeup wipe and brushed the glitter off my hands to head home. He cleaned up, since he hadn't told his parents either.

I biked home at about 2 pm and went in the front door. Mom and dad were in their offices. Mom freezed when she saw me.

"What's on your face?" She asked. I reached up and felt some glitter and eyeshadow.

Oh gods. What could I do?

Before I could say anything she asked, "Have you been hanging out with a girl?"

No getting around it, I nodded. She started yelling.

"No sir, you can not start dating! I forbid it!" She yelled. Percy ran in the room.

"Who's dating who?" He asked, out of breath.

"Luke's been making out with a girl. Some makeup rubbed off on him." She said, looking furious.

Percy glared at me. I couldn't take it.

I yelled, "It's not makeup from a girlfriend! It's makeup from... from Zoe."

They were startled and confused. I never yelled, and what I said made no sense. I explained.

"I'm... I'm transgender. I stole the makeup from Zoe and put it on at Jack's house where we make clothes. His parents don't know either."

They stared, then hugged me.

I felt loved, and a lucky girl.

Thanks for reading! I love you guys!

-Author