Part 62: Camp Half-Blood 2

Charlie's POV

I slept well that night. It was cozy in the Poseidon cabin. I wasn't around to hear Zoe's snoring since she stayed late at RJ's. That girl was always out. Thirst for adventure, I guess.

The next morning the camp bell sounded jarring me from sleep. Zoe still wasn't there. Wait, she still wasn't there. She still wasn't there. She was at RJ's last...

My body went into protective brother mode and I stormed over to the Demeter cabin to give him a piece of my mind. He wasn't there. His cabin mates immediately directed me to the beach.

I stormed there to find RJ and Zoe, laying on a blanket in the sand, watching the sun edge over the horizon. "You had to stay up all night?" I asked, putting a smirk on my face.

Zoe looked over her shoulder. "Of course. I didn't wanna sleep in the same room as my overprotective insane brother."  She snipped back, RJ helping her up. We all hurried and went to the dining hall to eat. Zoe ate really quickly and had a large cup of an americano coffee, before hurrying off to take a shower and finish unpacking. 

Breakfast was longer than normal, so Zoe made it back in time for Chirons announcement.

"Hello and welcome to another year at camp. With many new campers being brought in, we have doubled our numbers and upped our skill, so let me say I am proud of all of you." He said, beaming. "Because of the doubling numbers, we have decided to let some of the older students teach classes, so sign up sheets are on the camp bulletin board. Continue eating." 

I could see Zoe excitedly whispering to Meredith about trying out. I was pretty excited too. Me and Zoe both went immediately up and signed up for tryouts.

Silena's POV

After we finished eating, Chiron pulled me and Bianca aside. This was what I had been waiting for. "You 2. Your parents left these 2 things for you." He said, me and Bianca looked at him eagerly.

"For you, Bianca, a hand crafted gift from the 3 most powerful gods. Hades has blessed it with the power of dark souls, Poseidon has gifted it the mystery and strength of the sea, and Zeus has blessed it with the power of lightning strikes. All for you. Here is the exousía, the sword of power."

I stood in awe. Surely my weapon would be just as powerful, just as special. Just like me. Bianca took the long, beautiful black sword and it buzzed in her hands. She swung it with deadly precision.

"You can hurt a lot of people with this sword. You have to be careful. Power is only good among the strong." Chiron said, and then turned to me.

"Your gift is very old, very ancient, and very important. It only reveals itself to the people it trusts." He says, and hands me a small leather bag big enough for a dagger.

I was surprised that was all he said, but it must be cool. I walked down to the beach and Bianca walked back to her cabin. As I plopped myself on the sand, I opened the bag.

Inside was a tiny, rusty compass with a miniature white sword as the needle in the middle. Not a weapon, just a joke. I felt the tears well up in my eyes. Bianca got a sword from the gods, and I got a compass? I had been looking forward to this all my life, but it was ruined.

On the back was "logos". Whatever the heck that was. I looked at the compass, hoping for something cool to happen, but no. I had been utterly let down. Also, the compass didn't even work and the metal felt cool and unhappy against my skin. It kept going everywhere. Nothing was happening, and I was fed up. I threw the compass into the sea.

It sunk and bubbled all the way down. Good riddance. I  cried myself to sleep that night.

Zoe's POV

The following day camp started. Classes on rock climbing, archery, sword fighting, wilderness survival, and personal skill were done daily. I was a little rocky at first, but after the first day I was much better, and just in time for tryouts. 

We all filed into the mess hall as Chiron took the stage. 

"Okay, we will start by testing each skill. First, archery." He said, and we started. I was great at archery, Charlie was decent. I killed at sword fighting and Charlie was about the same. I was the best at rock climbing and Charlie came in 4th. We skipped personal skills, but we did to wilderness survival, where I passed with flying colors. Charlie was struggling there.

I could tell he was frustrated. In the end, I made the team. He didn't. He stormed off to the beach, while I high-fived Meredith, who also made the team. What a whiner, but hey, I still loved him.

Anyway, it was a very dramatic first day.

Thanks for reading! I am so sorry I haven't been updating. My schedule has been crazy, and may get even crazier, but I have a lot of ideas for this story, so I will still update. Love you guys!