Part 42: Zeus

Charlie's POV

So we did. Mom hugged us with flowing tears running down her cheeks, and dad hugged us goodbye standing up, and looking sad. The wheelchair had just been removed.

"Just promise me... you'll try to be safe." Mom said, I didn't wanna leave, but I had to. We had to.

With our last hugs we headed out the door. You know how you expect there to be dramatic music playing, the wind blowing our hair back, yeah... no. The other kids didn't even get to say goodbye to their parents.

There was no wind, and I tripped on the last step. We winded our way through the neighborhood, and out of the gates. Into the world, into danger, into... the unknown. Only the last one seemed the scariest.

We went through city blocks, avoiding street merchants. Walking. Not very exciting, but not that I wanted it to be at all. No excitement meant no monsters.

I spoke too soon. A pack of hellhounds appeared as we were cutting through a dark alley. I grabbed my imperial gold knife. Arthur grabbed his styridium steel hammer, Silena grabbed her celestial bronze knife. Zoe grabbed her moonlight bow, Elle grabbed her imperial gold hammer, and RJ grabbed his celestial bronze sword, Vines in Greek.

Dang, we looked cool, but the hellhounds were a tough batch. I had to dodge the sudden attack but I managed to cut one in the leg. All around me our group was slashing left and right to take as many down as possible.

It was a tough few minutes of fighting and after a few small injuries, we had killed the lot. Everyone got a little nectar and ambrosia and we headed out of the alleyway.

Even though we all had gifts they took a lot more out of us than fighting,

We ran the next few blocks. We weren't strong enough to have to deal with monsters every few feet. My arms and legs ached, but I didn't stop.

We finally reached the Empire State building just as most of our legs gave out. Only RJ and Zoe were left standing. RJ, because he has been playing football and doing track for years, and Zoe because... well she is Zoe. Anything a guy can do, she can do better. In fact, Zoe wasn't out of breath at all.

We caught our breath, people giving us weird looks, then headed inside the building. The guy at the desk was boredly scrolling through an article on his computer.

We approached and he said, "Here for a tour?" I shook my head, since he was looking at me, but Zoe spoke up.

"600th floor please." Zoe said, real polite.

"No 600th floor, kid." Said the man, looking up.

"Look, my parents have been to Tartarus and back, and me and my friends have just had to kill a heck of a lot of hellhounds. So let us up there, or we will do to you what we did to them." Zoe said, with real venom in her voice.

The man quickly handed over the keys and she skipped to the elevator. Dang, she is so funny.

We all entered the elevator and shot up at what felt like the speed of lightning. We almost all lost balance and ended up in a heap on the floor.

We all managed to crawl out with a lot of owss, and never doing that agains.

As Olympus came into view we all stood up and dusted off our clothes. It was a beautiful sight, but it was quickly blocked by a clap of thunder and a strike of lightning, and there, in the Godly flesh, was Zeus. And he looked mad.

Thanks for reading! Please vote or comment!

-Author