Part 55: The Return

Charlie's POV

As I collapsed to the ground, darkness grew around me. From a pinpoint dot in the middle of my vision, to a large darkness as destructive as a black hole. I felt my panic rise inside me, but rather than going into a peaceful sleep, the kind you would expect from darkness I was met by a cold emptiness. Frozen in place, I stood there, as the darkness made my mind go blank.

This strange emptiness was replaced by what felt like almost immediately by a ringing in my ears and the feeling of a body. I managed to force my eyelids open and the world turned back alive.

Zoe was there, and so was Meredith. Around me, Silena and Bianca were rising from their slumber as well. I looked at them, my eyes asking what my mouth could not ask.

Zoe smiled. "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed, startling everyone in the apartment. I immediately started to dance. Not the slow dance from the school years and years ago done by my parents, but a funky nae nae. My life was back to normal, or as normal as it could be for a demigod.

Zoe and Meredith helped me up. Meredith and I shared a kiss. Her lips warmed my body from the cold emptiness of being alone in darkness.

Arthur and Elle were helping up Silena and Bianca and assuring them Hera (the cow) was defeated. Zoe gave me a look, and gestured to the other room. I quickly got up and followed her out.

"Where is RJ?" I asked, out of genuine curiosity, but Zoe burst into tears. Her dirty blonde hair falling into her face, and her blue-ish grey eyes pouring out water, she looked like a heart broken princess.

"He- he left. He's upset cause...cause... the Gods want me to be the new Hera. And I didn't say no, cause I wanted to talk to him about it and he got mad and I don't know what to do." Zoe choked out.

My fury was rising up in my chest. I wanted to lash out and punch something. RJ had never broken my sisters heart. I guess I'd have to break his face.

"No, Charlie don't." Zoe said, recognizing the look on my face. "It's not just that. I'm Hera's child. I just want to be a Jackson. I don't wanna be a God, but I do want to make sure the Gods stay fair and just. I just...am so confused." 

The shock of all this was a bit much, but I just hugged Zoe. At the same time I'm guessing Arthur and Elle told our siblings judging by the silence in the other room.

After a few minutes of crying we stood up and got on with things.

Zoe's POV

It had been a few days since the end of the quest. Hedge had gone home, we had all gotten healed up. Charlie didn't kill RJ, Mom and Dad were so happy to see us, but today we were super busy. The house had just gotten furnished completely, and everyone in the neighborhood had moved in fully as well. Today we were having a pool and barbecue celebration to celebrate our lives and moving in. Things were going right.

We still hadn't told Mom about Hera or the Gods request, but we planned to tell her about Hera tonight. Hopefully me and RJ would get to talk afterwards.

It was evening and we were setting everything up. Me and mom were currently stringing fairy lights around the back yard.

"Thanks sweetie." Mom said, after I handed her some tape.

"Of course. Mom, I have some news. I thought I'd tell you before Dad knew, cause it's a little complicated. Can we sit?" I said, Mom nodded, eyes full of concern, and that kind of motherly care that makes you feel warm and safe.

We sat down on the grass. "Good news, mixed news, or really bad news." I asked.

"Good first, then mixed, then really bad." Mom said, hugging me a little closer.