Part 38: The Sad Talk

Zoe's POV

I don't have any idea how I didn't just burst into tears when they read the prophecy. Probably because I was so dehydrated, like when Charlie beat up RJ. I only was dehydrated when I cried, you know, being a legacy of Posiedon and all.

It was a hard life, no doubt, but I wish that our life didn't have to be so... conflicted. I know I seemed pretty low key while we discussed it, but I honestly thought I knew more about the prophecy than I should.

Apparently, the quest would start the night of my birthday with a truth. We would have to go fight an old enemy that was against my family, which I had no idea who it was. I mean, they made a lot of enemies. The rest had been pretty much solved as well, but the Ruth thing... I honestly thought I knew who that was. Better not to say though.

I had gone back to the Athena cabin to pack my bag for the quest. I honestly didn't need to pack anything though. Since all of this crazy stuff happened I had kept an extra quest bag packed so I could be ready at a moment's notice.

I just needed some quiet time. Away from the eyes asking me if I was okay. Why did they even have to ask? Of course I wasn't okay! Especially because of the lover part. I couldn't have anything happen to him. Or anyone else. I loved all of them.

What to do? I knew I had to go on the quest, but I had to see RJ. I would not have to let him join the quest, I could make him stay. He had to be safe.

I walked with a purpose out of the cabin and went to the Demeter cabin where I knew RJ would be.

I marched right in and saw him lying on his bunk, looking worried.

When I went right up to him, it was hard to stop from crying. He was my main joys in life, and he would be trapped from helping me, or be in danger, or whatever that twisted prophecy means.

He looked up as I approached and I saw concern etched in his face. "What happened?" He asked. That was when I broke down.

I told him the prophecy, and he just hugged me tighter. I wished I could stay in his arms forever. Just us, no stupid prophecy. Him shielding me from all bad thoughts. Ignorance is bliss, after all.

But there was no ignorance, especially for a grandchild of Athena. "What are we going to do?" I finally asked him.

"Let me go with you." He asked, but not really asking.

"No, and it won't matter, you will be, "trapped." I said. I couldn't lose RJ.

"I am going, I need to know your safe. And even if I am trapped, I will escape. Anything for you." He said, smiling a little.

I felt worried, but I also felt like this was the way it was meant to be. Me and RJ, there to save each other.

I grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the cabin. I had to take him to the beach. I needed to be in my happy place with my favorite person.

We walked down to the beach hand in hand. We didn't talk, we just enjoyed each other's company.

When we finally reached the shore, dusk was falling, and the waters were bright with the reflecting sun. The salty sea air energized me, and I felt I could spend a lifetime playing in the waters.

RJ looked at my face and smiled, happy I was happy. I pulled him to the sand and we sat down.

"RJ, I need to tell you something." I said, after working up the courage.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Thank you for being my rock, and the person who cheers me up. The person who is always by my side to help me, and the person who makes me love more than I ever thought I could." I said, my heart filling with butterflies.

"No, thank you for being my sunshine and my hopeful reality and thank you for being my healer when I am hurt and the person who makes me feel butterflies every time I see you. I love you."

"I love you too." I said, and leaned in for a kiss.

He met me halfway, and this time it felt different. We had.... had some amazing kisses, but this one felt... special. It was a promise, a thank you, and a little sadness and hope all rolled into one.

The kiss lasted as long as it needed to and when we finally broke apart, I put my arms around him and we walked to the water, stepping slowly in the shallows. As we went deeper I made a bubble of air for him and me and we kissed, sinking away from reality. As I felt my spirits lift I heard one more sentence from him. One more promise.

"I swear on the River Styx I will always protect you."

Thanks for reading this fluff filled chapter! Love you guys!

-Author