Chapter Six ۞ Riddle

Within the entire group, only five of the Twelve had their familiars-Corvan, Rowe, Tamara, Charles, and Raziel. The first-ranker was the only one whose year level was below four. Courtney, Elfre, and Aneeka were about to summon their familiars this year. However, the sight of the five forming a semi-circle to call upon the representatives of the quintessence of their very being. It was marvelous.

"Look at those cocky looks on their faces." Aneeka was seething.

"Please." Elfre growled. "I want to wipe those out."

"Nah. That probably won't happen." Courtney jokingly stated, giving the other girls a knowing look. "Because we'll be joining them soon."

The three girls began laughing hysterically that the others-who were long from getting their familiars-glared at them enviously. The twins, Keelan, and Valeriana were all sporting looks of bitterness and resentment while Brindon, who seemingly remained apathetic, had the ground beneath him shifting for some reason.

"You guys . . ." Valeriana laughed, erasing the same look she had on her face a while ago for a more positive one. The look on the four's faces was amusing. "Come on, relax. Our time will come and we'll be the ones laughing."

"Right now, I just want to feel angry." Keelan pouted. "My time will come, people!" He yelled, pointing a finger at the cocky five. "My familiar will be awesome, strong, big, powerful, and . . . BIG! Really! REALLY BIG!"

He was ignored, however.

Simultaneously, the five performed the bridging process of the summoning. In other words, creating a door from their elements for their familiars to pass through. Valeriana already saw Corvan do it before, and since it hadn't been too long when they last called their familiars, they did not need to cut their hands for it.

"I call forth-Alva!" Electricity sparked around Raziel until a snake began crawling around his neck.

"I call forth-Marius!" Charles's familiar, the serpent, appeared behind him and gave a devastating roar that reminded Valeriana how it felt to be inside his mouth. Its hideously large body floated midair, occupying a great deal of space. Showing a look disgust, Valeriana gave a shiver.

"Wha-I told you not to do that!" The fourth scolded, seeing as a gush of air rained down on him that threw his hair and clothes out of place.

'But this beast wanted a good entrance.' It replied, making Valeriana laugh out loud.

Geez. This guy should be Tamara's partner.

"I call forth-Iolani!" This time, it was Tamara who summoned her familiar. The familiar, flaming bird appeared on the third-ranker's shoulder, composed and calmly looking about its environment. Tamara seemed disappointed by her choice of appearance and grumbled, "Sheesh, you've got to act better than that if you want to make an impression."

'Oh, shush now,' Iolani glared. 'I am not like thee who are very flamboyant.'

"That's it! Charles!" Tamara was seething as he came over. "Give me your familiar! I want yours!"

"Tch." The fourth-ranker seemed more frustrated. "Do you think I'm the only one contemplating why in the world you got such a splendid bird as Iolani as a familiar when, obviously, we would've worked better together?"

"Seriously, those two." The twin whistled.

"They really should exchange familiars."

Rowe gave a short chuckle before calmly waving his hand. "Come forth now, Cheveyo."

The beautiful, white owl from before gracefully floated after Rowe released a brush of white light from his hands. Unlike the other elements whose flaring, flashy and grandiose entrance put up a good show, Cheveyo came in so softly that it would've gone unnoticed if no one was watching.