Chapter Thirty-Seven ۞ Let It Begin!

As they were concluding the events of the first day, it was finally time to assemble in the arena for the fight between the eleventh and twelfth-ranker. Of course, the newly-renovated part of the school had newly-installed modifications to accomodate at least five-thousand audiences.

As crazy as that sounded, the seating capacity proved to be just not enough for the viewers, since some just arrived for the sake of watching the fight alone.

The arena was no plain all-sand or all-grass like when Valeriana fought in it last time. They drove in a new environment sporting all of the basic elements in existence. With the weather a bit on the humid side, it came off a bit hot in the eyes despite being strangely tropical. It really made no sense, if you would look at it from afar.

There were plants, tall rocks, a small lake to the far right, a muddy terrain somewhere along the trail, and rock-strewn floor. The space in the very center of it all had been clear of any obstacles but a simple pavement joining the two opposite cavities under the arena.

The Twelve, of course, were granted special seats. The first day could hardly be called uneventful since it was totally the opposite. It was filled with nothing but assisting and laying down solutions to different problems and dilemmas encountered by the visitors. As such, majority of it had been leading the lost children back to the Help Desk so that they could be found by their parents.

'For goodness's sake, do please maintain a reign on your children so they aren't all over the place.'

Even Tamara had growing a headache ranting and lecturing the people so many times, but they were hardly listening. Needing to be hospitable, the Twelve could hardly say anything rude--that wasn't true for the third-ranker, nevertheless.

They could hardly even enjoy themselves in this supposedly joyful day. Perhaps tomorrow would be a bit calmer than today. Grand Openings were sure to be the most hectic one out of every others.

As the rankers took their places, one-by-one, the look of weariness and exhaustion had become like their school uniform--ever so present on their faces and body language.

"By the name of Prelurè, I am beat." Elfre sank on the cushioned chair and threw back her head as her quivering knees finally got their well-needed rest. "The people over my department were all stupid. Who said maintaining peace and order was easy?"

"Even I cannot help but admit that the incompetency of my underlings started grating on my nerves. It is all a simple matter of welcoming and service, but some are awkward when it comes to that." Raziel had this look of disgust on his face as he pulled out a mirror out of nowhere and examined himself. "I shall need a hydrating bath and some cucumber to remove these horrible bags forming under my eyes."

"Oh, please. You guys aren't the one who have it worse!" Aneeka's voice rose above the rest as she crashed on the seat beside the twins. "Clean-up is the toughest job. I have a hard time trying to make sure my people don't slack around!"

"The facilities and equipments are hard to keep track of." Genevieve muttered as she leaned on Zevlin's shoulders. "For goodness's sake, all those people had to do was log the borrowed things, but they can't!"

"I think it's because everyone's in a rush. Besides, it's only the first day, maybe we'll have it easier tomorrow." Valeriana whispered, dabbing her sweat with her sleeves. "Some of the exhibits are already halfway damaged, it won't take overnight just to fix those."

"No." Tamara countered, nudging the fifth-ranker ruthlessly she almost fell off. "It's because it's the first day. We barely even survived, for the gods' sake. The visitors need to know how to observe the rules in here and respect the ordinances we implement. If not--"