Chapter Twenty ۞ Lesson

When I first wrote this chapter, I was just starting college in August 2015. And now it's also August around 7 years later and I've just been accepted to my master's degree. 🥲

With things back to normal and issues settled, the next morning was as ordinary as any other. The only thing different was Valeriana's adjustment to her new schedule. Her day was Zion-less, too.

There was still one person left she hadn't seen since their arrival. That person owed her a big explanation before they left and she sure would not hesitate to choke him again if he ever even thought about running.

She blew out a tired sigh as she entered her PC class. The sight of her DevDept acquaintances instilled a feeling of awkwardness that she could not help but cringe inwardly as they looked her way.

"Valeriaannnnnnaaaa!" Coral ran to her, screaming. "You aren't angry at us, are you?"

"No, I'm not." She said, bewildered at the girl who latched at her clingily. "Problems are settled."

"So what did the Twelve say?" Asked Coral eagerly. "I'm sorry if my suggestion was a little bit out of line. I was only trying to help."

"No need to be sorry. The Twelve's fine." She said. "You'll hear our decision after class, so make sure not to be late."

"Sure thing!" Cail and Coral chorused.

Zander gave a snort at this.

"We'll see how it goes."

She wondered what made him so hostile towards her friends.

Cail and Coral shook their heads at Zander's bitter attitude, pausing to take a deep breath of weariness. Even the two seemed to be having problems handling him.

"People say you have quite a spitfire attitude when you came." Coral bubbly crashed on a chair and leaned towards Valeriana. "I saw it myself when you were arguing with the first-ranker. You seem to be calm these days though."

"That's because there isn't anything to argue about these days." She smiled, straightforward as she allowed it. There was a hidden truth, though. "I'm a fairly civilized person when I'm treated right, not to mention getting pissed off and yelling at people all the time is tiring."

"Is that it?" Cail joked. "Well, I suppose apology is in place. I bet when you were human, you were discriminated quite harshly."

"That's quite right."

"Valemnians are not perfect, though no matter how high we regard ourselves." The look on Cail's face was distant. "We take pride in the gifts bestowed to us. Some are not as lucky as the rest, but just as thankful. Even so, until now, the war with demons has yet to reach to a conclusion."

Valeriana was silent as she took in the story.

"You have not even scratched the surface of how truly dreadful Valemnia's situation is." He added. "It may seem happy, but it's actually in a false sense of peace. Civilians have adjusted to a cautious life. You cannot help how wary they are of you. They may be under the impression that you are not any different from the demons that are their enemies."

"Any time, the barriers may be broken." Coral looked somewhat . . . different when she said that. "The king's existing barriers are limited only to the academy and the Dark Continent, any other place is left exposed. We often cannot stop the demons from ravaging small villages. Isolated and poor ones usually go unattended."

"I never knew it was this bad . . ." Val muttered. "I thought with the presence of knights and stuff, everything was fine."

"That's a naive thought." Zander glared her way. "You have not even encountered what a real demon is, by the way you speak. In this academy, what do you think makes you different?"