Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 1)

Valeriana's heart stopped when Corvan welcomed her to his continent. One reason was because she felt the sudden rush of trepidation at the thought of facing the lord and lady of Arlandia--simply Corvan's mother and father. If Corvan was this cold and arrogant . . . oh, goodness. She silently hoped the tree wasn't like the fruit--as weird as that sounded. The second reason was that Corvan smiled.

He was smiling a lot more often lately. Whereas he had become more of a jerk as well, dragging her into several of his mess and forcing her to go along. The most recent before this incident was when he pulled her into fighting with him for a certain price and he made her into some sort of ragdoll--throwing her around to all sorts of direction.

Well, she couldn't say she disliked this side of him. It was a refreshing sight to see from a person usually full of himself. As time went by, within a few months of her stay in the Academy as one of the Twelve, she was starting to see more sides to the Circle than she first saw them as.

Thinking back on those times she first met these people, she sure have gotten far.

A smile made its way to her lips as well as she looked up to meet emerald green eyes. "I just hope I don't get burned."

Corvan averted his gaze as he paused on their tracks. Valeriana stopped behind him and watched as, for the rarest of times, the sincerity seeped into his face. "First, before we continue, I want to apologize sincerely for my actions. It was very impertinent of me, not to mention, insensitive."

"Nah, I somewhat get you. I'm used to you being callous as always."

The muscle on his brow made a visible twitch at her comment. "You call me callous?"

"If not a jerk, yes." She crossed her arms and shot him a challenging look. "Besides, I thought through it, I get that you're going through a lot. It's the heir thing, yes, I know. I'm not anywhere near your position so I won't ever really be able to sympathize with you, but, seriously . . . you should stop giving me the trouble."

"And you say I bring the trouble when you yourself frequently attracts them the most?" He argued.

Valeriana gave him a weary look before flicking her wrist at him dismissively. "Don't state the obvious. Tell me something I don't know." She sighed. "Like, for example, what I'm supposed to expect walking into this hell hole."

Corvan exhaled heavily at the thought. "My father is a stern person and he expects everyone to behave around him accordingly. My mother may be the complete opposite, but she's unpredictable. My younger sister--"

"Huh. Wait. Hold on." She stared him in shock. "You're younger sister."

"That's right. Emmillyse." His smile grew more irksome. "You were unaware?"

"Heck, yeah."

"She was born three years or so before I left the palace. She was but a mere toddler." He said. "So I'm somewhat wondering how she is. Rumors say she is a demon as much as she is an angel."

Valeriana found herself laughing at that statement. "Now I see it runs in the family!" She doubled over, her laughter ceaseless. It took a while for her to recover, but as soon as she did, she was wiping off the tears from the corner of her eyes. "She must be cute though."

"Her presence is yet to be announced. Members of the noble families are usually held secret until they are at least ten years of age."

"Is that to protect them?"

"Yes. The world of the aristocrats are filled with danger from every corner. Numerous assassination attempts go about more frequently than one would know." He said. "If I'm not mistaken, Emmillyse is only six."