Chapter Thirty ۞ A Sword That Can't Cut

It was odd finding about Cifaro's peculiar quirk. He couldn't cut any physical objects but he was able to defeat that demon just fine.

Usually, a sword would be used cut down the enemy, but it only further emphasized to Valeriana her role as a Direct Controller.

The rules about never harming and being selfless continued to come at her. Now, even the sword she was expecting to be put to use in her battle with Corvan was all out of the discussion.

Gone. Tossed.

And it looked so great too.

Even so, that wasn't even the end of it. There was one more horrible thing that she discovered.

Her own sword could cut her when it couldn't even cut Lady Seraphina.

This was starting to astound her more than anything else that happened so far--that was saying a lot considering she just found out the guy she punched was a prince. Not just any prince. He was the prince.

And he was the one, out of everyone else, turning into a demon.

"Holy shiznits." She whispered to herself. "My life's so strange. Things are getting weirder by the second this isn't exactly a plot you'll expect from a stupid fantasy novel. Who's writing this?"

(Lovely: Excuse you, Valeriana)

And she was realizing all of this just now when nothing had exactly been ordinary ever since she met her current guardian.

Valeriana studied the soul crystal Cifaro and sat by herself pondering. "What kind of sword cannot cut?"

Amril did warn her before. His words being, 'A weapon made out of a Holy Beast's remnants is powerful and indestructible. But one which is made out of the remnants of its soul should possess unexpected qualities.'

Oh, it was unexpected alright.

Utterly, undeniably unexpected. Frankly, a bit disappointing. However, in a way, it was somewhat cool. Lady Seraphina could not even scratch that beast and Cifaro managed to slice it in half when she hardly moved at all.

The fact that her life was saved went without saying.

"Thank you, Cifaro." She said to it, giving a smile.

In a sense, it felt as though it was really made for her. She hated having to hurt other people unnecessarily so having a weapon with the same goals was a plus.

Now, she just learned a lesson.

No matter what time of the day, what event, there was not enough reason to hurt others.

So, in her duel, what exactly was she supposed to do?

Feeling weary of the thoughts running inside her head, she stood and went downstairs to eat breakfast with the others. Charles didn't seem to need any help with the preparations lately. It was as though he was training himself for the upcoming part he was to play in the festival.

She coudn't be more correct with this though. Right when she entered the dining room, the table was brimming with food and an elderly-looking woman, just in time, had her hands full while bringing in more plates. The members of the circle were hanging out on their chairs, doing their own little things.

They weren't wearing uniforms. Why exactly?

"Oh, uh . . . do you need help?"

The woman had bright olive-green eyes and an equally bright smile. "It's alright, child. Please go inside and wait."