Chapter Fifty-One ۞ Headstart

Three tall horses stood at the gates of the Ember Palace, one boy holding their reigns. They carried bags on either side and were properly saddled. Gavin was petting the horse to the very right, feeding it treats while cooing and running his hands through its red-tipped mane.

Valeriana was in awe at the rare breed, wondering if the red coloring of their coats was something they were born with or artificially done. They were elegant creatures, but the girl felt a flip in her stomach at the thought of riding.

"Um, we have a problem." She said aloud, enough for Corvan, who was a step behind, to hear.

"What is it?"

"I don't know how to ride a horse." She told him.

Corvan was beyond shocked. "You are incompetent in horseback riding?"

"Yep!" She popped the 'p' and scratched her head.

"What did you learn as a child, then?" He asked, standing beside her. "Do not tell me your were such a--"

"It's not that!" Valeriana stomped her feet, beyond frustrated. "Horseback is such a traditional way, it's not commonly done in the city except for areas like Texas! Or . . . whatever."

"Oh, good Arland." He shook his head and brushed past her to approach the group ahead of them, calling for the attention of the stable boy and engaging into a conversation.

Valeriana jogged to catch up just in time to hear what they were talking about. Gavin gave her a smile which she forced herself to return.

"Sand Fire will not be hard to maneuver?"

"No, your excellency." Answered the boy. "Sand Fire is very sensitive to the rider so it won't be too hard."

"And for an amateur with no riding experience at all?" He asked.

The stable boy shot a curious glance Valeriana's way. "So long as nothing aggravating is done, it won't be a problem."

Corvan gave Valeriana a long, hard stare as though he was inwardly debating what course of action should be taken. Valeriana stared back, watching his face take many expressions all at once.

Well, he is handsome so it's totally not strange if I have a crush on him. She thought, then realized what she had resonating inside her brain that she flushed and turned to look at the pony instead.

It isn't a pony. It is a horse. She told herself. Whatever the difference. I still think it's a pony. A cute cute little pony I hopefully won't fall from.

She sighed.

It's a lie. I totally don't have a crush on him.

She then snuck a peek once more and accidentally caught his gaze. Hastily, she avoided his gaze. I still don't! I totally don't! He's a jerk! He's arrogant! Stuck-up! Inconsiderate! Insensitive! Who would have a crush on him?!

Whe growled in frustration at the inward battle.

"Valeriana. Valeriana! Pay attention!"

She gave an angry frown as she looked over to him. "I totally don't!"

"What?"

"Crap." The girl muttered. "Nothing."

"Alright. Let's get you on it's back." Corvan pushed her to the horse she just basically called a pony and gave her instructions. "Use your right foot when mounting from this side, otherwise you'll end up facing backwards. It is usually customary to mount on the left side because of tradition, and this usually accounts for the weapon on your left hip. Even so, let's mount ypu through the right."