ABL 01: Black Butterfly

I wiped the counter despite being annoyed by my job today. On all the days that this bar could be full, it chose today and wasn't even by my regular well-mannered customers, it was a bunch of college kids and all they could do was make a bunch of noise and spill their drinks all over my counter. My counter!

"You should plaster a smile on that face, Amanah," I stared at my boss, Frank with an annoyed look and he laughed as he flipped the cocktail shaker in the air and caught it with his right hand behind his back, psshh show off. "You might murder someone."

"Yeah, and that someone might be you," I said, and he smiled, pouring the drink into the glass and winking at the girls that were watching him; they swooned. A cocky smile grew on his clean face. Argh, so annoying!

I was not used to seeing Frank without his beard, he didn't look bad, but he definitely looked so different without it. He almost looked...younger. I continued wiping the counter, and I looked outside, counting the hours to when I could finally go back home.

"Have you noticed the number of black butterflies in this neighbourhood lately?" I asked him, and he looked out the window shaking his head.

"Never," he said, and I sighed.

Rolling my eyes, I watched as a new customer walked into the building and sit at the end of the bar. I looked at Frank, nodding to him with my head, and he pointed to me. With an aggravated sigh, I walked over to the man who, on normal days, would fit in this place, but today he looked out of place. 

Attractively out of place.

"Hey darling, what can I get you?" I asked, leaning across the counter and making sure I squeezed my breasts, for no reason at all.

"I'll have a gin," he said, and I stood there still. First of all, his voice travelled deeper than just my ears, and I don't want to mention where, and secondly...

"You came here just to have a gin?" I emphasised the 'a', and he cocked his head to the side. I must admit, this man is freaking handsome. He definitely surpasses my used-to-be level of handsome men!

"Then what do you recommend?" He asked slowly, and I smiled as I stood up straight. 

I recommend me. 

"I'll whip you a drink, and I guarantee it will be your new favourite," I said, and he slightly grinned, nodding.

"Alright, let's see what you've got," he said, and I grinned, throwing my cloth over my shoulder. I walked back to where Frank was, and he leaned toward me as I made the drink.

"So, who is Mr Mysterious Handsome Guy?" He asked, and I smiled, looking at him.

"I don't know. I was hoping you knew him," I said as I used the cocktail shaker. Frank propped his head on his hand and shook his head. Please say you know him.

"This is the first time I am seeing him," he said, and I shrugged, pretending I was not bummed out. "What are you making?" He asked after a while, leaning in closer to me.

"Negroni," I said, and Frank chuckled. "What, this is part of the three drinks I know how to make to perfection," I defended myself, and he licked his lips, still laughing.

"Uh-huh," he answered sarcastically, and I kicked his foot as I finished making the drink. I took it to my customer and set it in front of him.

"This is better than just gin," I said, and he looked at the drink and nodded. "It does have gin in it, though," I revealed to him, and he smiled. "So, what's your name, or do you prefer to drink in complete silence? Not that it's quiet enough here today, you came on a bad day. Between you and me, I would prefer it if there weren't any customers here," I said, and he sipped his drink as he listened to me ramble on. "You haven't answered me. Is it good?"