ABL 42: Memory Trip, Part Two

I groaned as I opened my eyes, rubbing my forehead. What the hell happened?

"Oh, you're awake?" The woman who looked like Amanah knelt next to me; she was dressed in a black and white cloak vintage dress. She had a small bowl next to her filled with water. "You were out for quite some time," she softly said as she reached toward my face.

I grabbed her hand, stopping her and she stared at me, surprised. "What are you doing here, Amanah, and where's Orion?" I asked, and her eyes stared into mine, confused.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I am not Amanah. You passed out in the woods last night, you had quite the fever, but it's gone down now," she reached for my forehead and pulled the damp cloth. "If you're feeling okay now, you can leave my cottage," she pointed to the door as she got up with her bowl and left the cottage.

"Where is Orion?" I whispered to myself as I got up. I felt a little woozy but quickly regained my balance. Leaving her tiny cottage, I opened the door and I wasn't ready for the sunlight to blind my eyes so much.

In her cottage, there was barely any light pouring in to convince me the sun was bright; after adjusting to the brightness, I pushed my hands into my pockets and looked around.

I should start looking for Orion.

"You're part of the newcomers, aren't you?" The woman said, looking up at me as she picked vegetables from her garden.

"Yes," I found myself answering.

"Thought so. I've never seen you around here before," she hummed. "You must be bloody rich, I suppose."

"Why do you say that?" Who's answering?

"I ain't never seen a suit like that in my entire life. Say, which land do you come from?"

"Far away," I answered, looking down at her and she cracked a smile, scoffing. Why does this feel familiar?

"Well, you better get going if you don't want the rain to catch you again," she got up from her crouched position with her bigger bowl filled with dirt-filled vegetables.

"Where are you going?" I asked, feeling disappointed that she was already getting rid of me. It feels so warm inside when I look at her.

"I have to eat, so I'm going to draw water down by the river," she pointed to the trees south of us.

"Can I come with you?"

"Are you lost?" She put her hand on her hip.

"No."

"Then go home," she walked away and I somehow started walking in whatever direction home was. It was as if my body knew exactly where we were going and which routes to take.

When I arrived home, I opened the door, hoping that I would find Orion in there and ask him why the hell he duped me. As I walked through the door, I walked out into a festival.

What the hell?

There were kids running around flying their kites. The area was filled with so much noise it was hard for me to pinpoint conversations. It felt like they were all speaking directly into my ear.

However, everyone seemed to be having fun...but why am I here?

"Come on, you grumpy man," Zyrah pulled me along with her as she giggled. "We're going to miss the fireworks if you just stand here," she squealed as we ran, holding onto each other's hands.

It was almost as if I was watching Orion's life through my own eyes.

"We could've seen them from where I was standing," I said and she turned her head and scowled at me.