ABL 40: Being Alone Again

Thirty hours and twenty-five minutes. That's how long it has been since Miall fell asleep and in those hours, I've only slept for five in total.

It's probably not my place to be right here next to him, but I couldn't help not worrying, or wanting to take the pain from him which was stupid of me.

I've only known him for four months and that one night, and I have grown to care for him so much.

Despite all the angst he's put me through, I'm putting it all aside because it hurts to see him like this.

Lying in bed, lifeless.

At first, he was always thrashing in pain, and Nyleve tried to get me away from him but I couldn't handle it.

How foolish of me. What can a human girl do really? There isn't much I can do to take his pain away, but I still wanted to be here, close to him.

I sat on the chair across his bed, supporting my head against my unwounded hand. My left hand rested on my lap as I watched him breathe equally, I patiently waited for the moment he would wince in pain so that I could call out for his doctor.

However, that moment never came. It felt like it had been a long time ago since he slept peacefully, without his sleep being disturbed by pain and that was relieving.

Of course, I wished he would wake up soon and tell me what was wrong with him since Nyleve and the doctors won't.

I don't understand why she has to keep me in the dark so much, either about her son or sometimes even about me.

Well, I guess those could be thoughts to ponder on for another day, right now all of my attention should be on Miall.

"Amanah, you should really go home and rest," Malakhi said as he stood by the doorway with Anin next to him.

"I'm fine," I smiled up at them before returning my gaze to Miall. What if I missed something in those few seconds?

"How is he?" He asked as he stood next to him. I raised my eyebrow and answered.

"I don't know how to respond to that since I don't know what's wrong with him, but he seems to be doing better," I folded my arms against my chest and leaned against the chair.

"How about we go to the clinic quickly and check on you, hmm?" Anin asked sweetly and I shook my head. I get that everyone has their best interests in mind, but I honestly can't focus with all of them hovering over me after every five minutes.

"You can check me here, it's just my blood pressure you want to check right?" Anin looked defeated for words, she nodded with a small smile and looked at Malakhi as if she were begging him to do something.

"Amanah, they have watermelon ice cream. Don't you want to go get some with me?" Malakhi asked, and I shook my head. "Come on, it's your favourite treat," he raised his fists and I looked at him from the corner of my eye.

"No, thank you," I said softly, and he dropped his hands. I know I was being difficult, but I just wanted to be alone right now. "Please excuse me," I said as I got up.

"Where are you going?" Anin asked me and I clenched my hands behind my back. I just want to scream, but they're not the roots of my annoyance and anger.

"To the toilet, I'll be back soon," I smiled and she nodded.

Having done my business, I washed my hands and splashed water on my face. I never thought I would be one of those dramatic beings who have a breakdown in the toilet.

The negative thoughts wouldn't stop gnawing away at my brain. Well...it's nothing new.

I should apologise to Malakhi and Anin and probably go for that watermelon ice cream; I've got a sudden craving for it.