ABL 54: Our First Date

My heart beat roughly against my chest as I stared at those huge bronze doors; who is able to open those anyway? Maybe this was a mistake. I can't remember anything for the life of me. 

The role of a leader is to be a big meanie in front of people because they cannot deal with their own emotions and find it better to bottle up their feelings because they think they are undeserving of being heard. That doesn't sound right. 

Okay, to be fair, that was a hard question; maybe I should try explaining the phenomena of the eye theory. Purple eyes are purple because they are powerful beings? Oh God, I'm definitely failing!

"Breathe," Miall said to me as he turned my head and made me face him. Suddenly, all the anxiousness was replaced with butterflies when I saw him smile. "There you go, you'll do great," he whispered as he pressed his lips on my forehead. 

"Right," I agreed, nodding as I held onto his shirt. "But I can't remember anything," I mumbled as I snuggled into his chest and breathed him in.

"That's because you're pressuring yourself for no reason. Just relax, and you'll do alright," he rubbed my back soothingly, and I melted in his arms. 

"Okay," I breathed out. "But is it-" I looked up at him, and he was already staring at me. "Yes, it is," I answered, pressing my head back onto his chest. 

"Once you're done with the exam, I'll be waiting for you right here."

"Promise?" 

"Mh," he hummed, and I looked up at him, pouting. 

"That doesn't sound convincing, but aren't there many people here?" I asked, looking around at everyone. None of them had the slightest hint of being nice. They all had stoic expressions and were standing alone. And here I was, clinging onto Miall like a baby. 

"Eclipse is one of the biggest exam centres in Nioz, with the most intelligent and strictest examiners," Miall answered, and I tilted my head to the side. 

"You're leaving something out, aren't you?" I accused, and he gave me a boyish grin turning me around to face the opening doors. 

"I can't let you miss out on all the fun, now go on," he pecked my neck, and I could feel my face get warm. With one hand, I touched my cheek, trying to cool it down, and with the other, I turned to face him with my middle finger up, and he chuckled, waving.

As I entered the building, my breath was taken away as I walked further in. High ceilings were decorated with light patterns in contrast to their dark colour. The arches were designed in a way I had never seen before; twisted where they would curve, they gracefully fell as pillars to the huge building. It was almost like a heavenly experience. 

The floors felt smooth against the sole of my shoe; this building was absolutely beautiful. I felt like weeping. 

Aren't there supposed to be arrows showing us where the exam hall is? I stopped before an engraving that seemed worn out on the wall. 

It was a woman whose eyes were cast down as she stared at something in her hands. Even though parts of her had disappeared, I could still make out the engraving. Whatever it was she was holding used to glow; now, it looked dull like washed-off paint. 

Stars were her crown, but they barely touched her head. It almost looked like they floated around her head. Her lips held a small smile like she was contempt of what she created. I sat down to study the worn-off engravement. 

Her wrists, just like her crown, were stars floating around her hands, but these ones looked like they had strings attached to something; how far do they go? Her neck was covered in a thick necklace that seemed to hold a galaxy in the pendant, just like the globe in her hands, the colours were washed off, and the whole thing just looked dead.