Chapter 17: Progress

Arya's POV -

Friday. October 7th.

One more week to get that darn essay done.

I woke up actually refreshed since I had went to sleep early last night. Around 9pm.

With a small smile on my face, I reached the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

My fingers gently ran over my cheek. The bruise had mostly faded and was barely visible. I didn't need to cover it up anymore.

Luckily Rome hadn't questioned any further about it, so I figured he believed me.

I don't know how he didn't realize I was lying, but I wasn't complaining.

Papa had been speaking to me like normal, I mostly saw him later at night when he got home from work.

However, mama and I still weren't really on speaking terms.

After that horrible dinner, barely a word has been spoken between us.

It was just be small 'good mornings' or 'goodbyes' but that was mostly it.

I really wanted to have a conversation with her about what happened.

I didn't want to be on bad terms with her, she was my mama after all.

Maybe...she had the right reasons to hit me.

With a small shake of my head, I put my hair up into a high ponytail and let some baby hairs fall on the sides of my face.

After getting ready I packed my bag and began my journey down the stairs.

My main goal for this weekend was to finish that essay.

Although I had another full week, I wanted it to be done and over with.

I haven't worked on it for weeks now, and It's been haunting me every night.

I spotted mama in the kitchen like usual. She was always in the kitchen either cleaning or cooking which I was extremely thankful for.

Papa worked so much that he was barely home, so that meant mama had to do all the house chores.

I admired her for that. I always will.

"Good morning," I said entering the kitchen and grabbing the lunch she had made me.

Yup, she had started making them again for me.

That meant progress, right?

"Good morning Arya."

She said my name. That's also progress, right?

I tried to debate whether or not I should make conversation. I didn't know how mad she was still.

Deciding to just go for it, I tried.

"Anything going on today?" I asked, rocking on my heels.

She didn't answer as I unzipped my backpack to put my lunch inside.

I frowned slightly as she didn't respond, and I was about to turn and leave, "Just cleaning. This house is a mess." She finally replied.

A bright smile made Its way onto my face.

She's not ignoring me.

Progress.

"Yeah, I guess it is. I'll see you later, mama."

Getting no response after that, I didn't take it to heart and simply went to the door.

'Eventually,' I thought as I made my way down the steps to the sidewalk.