Chapter 21: Unknown

Arya's POV -

2 days have passed since I've been at Rome's house, and I'm beginning to feel better.

Rome has barely left my side, and James has been around most of the time as well.

James has really grown on me. He's been constantly trying to cheer me up and cracking jokes.

But what makes me truly laugh is the look of annoyance that's always on Rome's face when he says something.

James will say something that's on his mind which causes Rome to say something back to him in Italian which then causes James to complain to me saying he's 'so mean.'

They've been doing as much as they can to distract me from the main issue. My parents.

What was I going to do? Was I supposed to go back and see if they're there? What will mama do?

I couldn't really live anywhere else.

At least that's what I thought.

"You're not going back there." Rome says as he helps me out of the hospital bed.

I was finally able to get up and moving according to Wyatt. He had said my cuts have healed enough.

"I need to Rome," I sigh. "Where am I supposed to stay?"

"You're staying here, that's where." He replies making my eyes bulge.

"Stay...here?" I repeat slowly, disbelief clear in my tone.

"Do you really think I'll let you go back there after...what happened?" The man says, trying to be careful with his words.

I shift my feet on the floor, "What about my stuff? My clothes? Everything is at my house."

"I'll send someone over to get it."

My heart squeezes painfully. I knew it was the right thing to do for now. To distance myself just a little bit even though it hurt.

For some reason even though I know what mama did was wrong, I didn't want it to end this way.

Eventually I would see her again.

"Okay." I finally agree.

"Good, come on I'll show you your room."

Rome guides me up the stairs and towards his room from before.

There's a door that's next to his.

"This will be yours. It's right next to mine incase you need anything at night."

I nod and walk in when he opens it for me.

I smile as I look around the room. It's huge, almost as big as Rome's.

The only difference is the light colored walls and white furniture.

"This is amazing, thank you!" I gush and he chuckles.

"James' room is down the hall, and Elijah's is across from him." He says making me pause.

I haven't seen Elijah since two days ago.

I wonder where he's been since he lives here as well.

I sigh as I sit on the white bed with a super fuzzy blanket on it. I can't help myself as I run my hands over it.

"I've missed two days of school." I say, looking up at Rome as he comes to sit beside me.

"It's not too many days, I'm sure you can make it up. Besides you had said you finished that essay, right?" I can literally hear the teasing in his tone, making my eyes narrow slightly at him.