Chapter 42: Better

Arya's POV -

I'm left a bit confused as my papa and Rome continue to talk and laugh, literally sitting next to each other as if they're best friends.

Papa had made some coffee and tea for all of us, Rome of course taking his usual black coffee and me just deciding on some tea.

Now they're chatting away like they've known each other for years about random thinks like sports and life in general.

"So Rome, where do you live?" Papa asks, finishing the rest of his coffee.

"I live about 10 to 15 minutes from here, with my two close friends James and Elijah."

"They're super nice," I add, "They've been just as welcoming as Rome has." That's a little bit of a lie when it comes to Elijah but he hasn't done anything wrong. I'm still determined to become his friend.

"Interesting," Papa responds. "Have you been with him the whole time Arya?"

"Yes, he's taken great care of me." I nod and smile at him, "Living with all three of them has been amazing.

Papa frowns slightly and then sighs, "I'm glad kiddo."

I'm becoming a little jittery knowing mama could walk in at any moment. I can feel my palms sweating because It's been well over 30 minutes.

"Hey papa, when do you think mama-" I pause. All three of us pause.

The sound.

The sound of the door opening is heard.

I freeze in place, and all three of our heads snap to the entrance of the living room.

The sound of the door closing is heard.

Rome moves from his position next to papa over to sitting beside me, running a hand up and down my back in reassurance but there's a cold look in his eyes.

Footsteps.

Mama's footsteps.

I feel like my throat might clog up at any second now. I'm about to see mama again.

"Dear? Are you home?" Mama calls out to papa and he looks at me before answering, "In the living room, hun."

More footsteps. Papa nods at me in reassurance as well.

"Therapy went well today, we talked about-" Mama stopped mid-step through the living room entrance, eyes widening as she looked at Rome and I in shock.

She looked different compared to when I last saw her. She looked less stressed.

Her brown hair was shorter than before. Her eyes looked more...alive.

Mama's eyes trailed over Rome for a split second before meeting mine with her mouth slightly agape.

"Mama," I whimpered, standing up to my full height.

"Arya?" She questioned, her eyes squinting as she looked over me.

"I'm here, mama. Please...I need you." I found myself whispering and she let out a quiet sob before rushing to me.

I met her halfway, her arms immediately wrapping around me as she cried.

"Arya I'm so sorry! Please forgive me, I've been going to therapy to try and be better. I've missed you so much and you had us both so worried about you." She said through shaky breaths and I hugged her tight in response, never wanting to let go.

A piece of my broken heart caused by her was slowly piecing itself back together, and I smiled through my own tears.

"I know you have, papa told me a little bit ago. I'm proud of you, mama." Hugging her as tight as possible, I listened to her sniffling.